Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TV

Old 02-13-2007, 11:44 AM

Default RE: TV

People need to realize that the show name, is most of the time a title sponsor show. For example Alpine's Western Hunts (made up show), Alpine is a title sponsor, the name of the show is Western Hunts. Alpine just paid for the title sponsor of the show, so everytime the show is mentioned Alpine is too.

Another issue is that sponsors do not want to sponsor a show that does not produce. Meaning we have to produce an animal everyshow, or there is no show.

People say they rather watch a show that doesn't have an animal being taken, you are saying you would watch 26 shows without seeing one animal get killed? I don't think so. We and other shows talk about scouting, tracking, and the ins and outs of how we got the animal, the kill shot is usually only 5 mins of a 28 min hunt. And it is not like we are in the stand and bam we kill something, it takes days and days for us to get a show, just like it takes days and days for everyone else.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

I got to say I am a deer hunter.....With that said I hunt them with a Bow, Rifle, Shotgun, and muzzle loader. If they had a rock season I pick one up and chuck a rock at em.
LOL Amen to that. Couldn't have said it better!

As far as tv goes never watch it and from whatIhear I'm not alone. There was a time when creative people produced tv shows. I think there're all dead. Unfortunetly they produced no offspring.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Huntm Up

People need to realize that the show name, is most of the time a title sponsor show. For example Alpine's Western Hunts (made up show), Alpine is a title sponsor, the name of the show is Western Hunts. Alpine just paid for the title sponsor of the show, so everytime the show is mentioned Alpine is too.

Another issue is that sponsors do not want to sponsor a show that does not produce. Meaning we have to produce an animal everyshow, or there is no show.

People say they rather watch a show that doesn't have an animal being taken, you are saying you would watch 26 shows without seeing one animal get killed? I don't think so. We and other shows talk about scouting, tracking, and the ins and outs of how we got the animal, the kill shot is usually only 5 mins of a 28 min hunt. And it is not like we are in the stand and bam we kill something, it takes days and days for us to get a show, just like it takes days and days for everyone else.
I think if your sponsor is demanding that you only show hunts that end in a kill,...you need to find a new sponsor.

From most of the shows that I have seen, there's WAY too much emphasis on sponsors and "showing" the brand names of products. Too much talking up a certain product during the hunt. If it's not during the hunt then it's obviously edited to show who the sponsors are. Why can't you have a product/sponsor part of the show, where for a full 5 mins, that all you do is talk about sponsors.

From what I've seen, the hunting shows don't show very much hunting at all. I mainly watch them to watch the animals and how they react while the arrow is released. I do not watch them to learn how to hunt, mostly to learn about the animals. Most of the time the animals are the realpartof theshow.....
Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM

It cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars to put a show on the air and the only way to make up that money is by sponsors.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I guess there is alot I could cover, but I will try and say it without rambling on.
Before I say anything, please realize that these are MY preferences and my opinions based on my observations and beliefs. I am in no way trying to put down anybody else's choices or beliefs. So please, take no offense to what I say as I in no way am trying to offend anyone or start an argument.
First off, I live in NW Ohio, and we are allowed one deer a year here. I envy you guys that live in area with deer numbers that support multiple tags. Unfortunately I do not have that luxary.
To answer the first question, I am strictly a bowhunter for deer. I will use a .22 for squirrel ( but usually use my bow for that also) and a shotgun for rabbit and birds. But for deer, I have only ever used a bow and that is all I will ever use. There are 2 reasons why. I absolutely love the up close and personal challenge of hunting with a bow. For me, and remember I said for me, I feel that I would not get any satisfaction in killing a deer with a gun, especially at a long distance. I just know that would not do anything for me. Now let me explainpart of the reason I feel that way.It is because of the things that I have had to witness during the week long slug law and the muzzleloader seasons year after year here.This part of the state is very flat. It is made up of small scattered woods with very few fencerows and some creeks. Lots and lots of fields that have been harvested by the time gun law rolls around.Unfortunately, there is alot of road hunting, gang hunting and tresspassing during that week. No hunting signs and no tresspassing signs mean nothing during this week. The deer aredriven ridiculously. Now, I am not talking drives in the sense of a few guyspushing a section towards guys posted. I am talking deer run from section to section by groups of 20-30 guys in trucks, 4 wheelers, even have seen dirt bikes used. The deer are ran until their tongues are hanging out and they can't go anymore. I am totally serious. Believe me, there are very few guys who actually go out and sit in the woods and hunt in our county. To top it off, we have one game warden for the whole county. These guys listen to the scanners and know exactly where he is at all times, so it is real easy to pull this stuff for them. Please don't think that I am exaggerating.If you would come here and talk to the hunters, you would hear horror story after horror story. The is nothing more irritating than having several woods that you and one buddy ( I am talkking about menow) have permision for, and you scout all spring and summer, put up stand after stand, and work your butt of after certain deer, and then these guys push it day after day WITHOUT permission for the whole week. Now, that is why I feel the way that I do about the gun season here. I am not lumping all gun hunting into this category at all. That is just what I unfortunately have to wintenss year after year, so that is what gun hunting is for me.
Now on to the TV shows. I myself really only enjoy the shows that are bowhunting. When I look at the shows description, if it is bowhunting, I tivo it, if it is gun, I don't. I really have no interest oin watching a gun hunt at all. But I love watching bow hunting.
I myself love shows that show all aspects of the hunt. And I also love when they show thge personalities and the stuff the hunters like to do in camp and at home etc. I like to learn about the hunters also. I am not one that has to see kill after kill. That is just the summation of the hunt. Everything leading up to that is what gets me going. I love to see the tactics that guys use, the reason for the stand choice etc. I really love the shows where the guys do it on their own. The ones where they drive in to an outfitter, seepics of the pic that they will kill, hunt the stand that others put up for them etc, well, thatjust doesn't thrill me.I like to see the guys that actually use their OWN hunting skills and their own sweat to get theanimal, not the luxuary of just climbing in a stand and buying a buck.
I also realize that as a common everyday hunter, I have no idea of the logistics that go into making a hunting show. I don't know the amount of money it takes and the pressure that the hunters, camera men, producers, sponsors etc. feel and live with in order toput an acceptable product on the air.Soit is I realize that I have to try and understandwhy some shows show the things they do and why they do things a certain way. I know that I am free to choose to watch the onesthat I like and skip over the ones I don't. No one is holding a gun to my head and making me watch any of the shows. I am just so thankful that I am able to have the Outdoor Channel and the Men's channel on Direct TV ( and my NFL Sunday ticket, NFL channeland UFC fights and shows ). Just a few years ago wedidn't have the opportunties to watch great hunting shows ( especially bowhunting!!). So for me , I am just so happy that I can watch them. I can watch the ones that I love, and just turn it off if I don't like them.That is pretty simple to me.
I hope that no one is upset about what I said about my views on the gun hunting here in Ohio. Again, I know that it is certain individuals that do this garbage. And I hate it!! But I will never put down a gun hunter who does it legally and enjoys it. I am happy for him that he is able to get out and enjoy such a great lifestyle. It just so happens that my enjoyment comes from having a bow and a sharp stick in my hand!!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:20 PM

I never said don't use sponsors. Just try a different way of advertising for them. It's just my opinion and I think that's why you started this thread.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing but bow during all three seasons, I do just as goodif not better some years than gun hunters. I hate it when they start asking little nosey questions about where I am going.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mostly bow hunt. But feel watching someone shoot an animal with a gun is usually boring. Monster bucks video from last season had a segment with Bill Jordan. He was in texas and had a bow and gun in ground blind. He got nervous and set down the bow and used the gun. To me it was a turn off. But to each his own.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

I think I enjoy a show much more if I know they are doing it fair chase and if they dont get one who cares. this is one reason I love eastmen bow hunting with Fred Echler. Sometimes he get one some times he don't but its all real and not a high fenced drug addict deer waiting to get stuck for the camera.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bow huntert
I hate it when they start asking little nosey questions about where I am going.

LOL hehehe. Get a kick out of it myself.What part of Arkansa you from?