Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The midwest may have bigger bucks but.. >

The midwest may have bigger bucks but..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The midwest may have bigger bucks but..

Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The midwest may have bigger bucks but..

I have seen over 150 deer eating in a partially combined corn field, in northern Mich, and not a Buck in the bunch! I saw over 20 Bucks eating Beans in Kansas and only one would not Make P&Y minimum!! Take a Wild guess where I would rather be hunting this Season.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Mountaineer

we seem to have alot more deer in the east. I just got home from a trip to Springfield, MO which was a 13 hour drive. From Pittsburgh to Columbus I saw deer the whole way, then from Columbus Ohio to Springfield Missouri I only saw four deer. They were all together in an Illinois cornfield. I was looking pretty hard.

On the way back, not a single deer until the eastern side of Ohio and I'll bet I saw 50-70 from there to home. Beautiful country out west but the deer numbers really seem to be down.
I live in Indiana and no joke tonight on my way back to Muncie from Ft. Wayne I probably saw over 70 deer.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on what time of day you travel through.I was traveling from northern to southern Illinois this past fall and and hour befor sundown(down state) I'll bet I countedd at least fifty deer in the distance.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

I had just shy of 100 in one of my fields over the weekend.
The bucks were still holding racks too.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Normal, IL and when we drive home to the UP we don't see many deer along the road, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. The herd is in fine shape, but the country the road goes through is pretty barren in most parts.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

The field where I watched all these deer is right next to a cedar swamp. Every year deer yard up in there. That could be another reason for the low number of sightings.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Id happily trade seeing 30deera day for the outstanding genetics, buck to doe ratio, and number of top end bucks that are in the midwest. In fact, I'd take Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and Ohio over any and all other states.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

we have a lot of deer here in missouri/illinois. i see about 25 every night in the standing beans and its only a 13 acre field.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Kansas but only 10 miles from MO border and maybe 10 min from I-44. I hunt 2 spots in Kansas that are just a few minutes from my home and it isnot uncommen to see 20 to 30 deer at a time in the one field and 7 or so every morning in the other wooded area. Like the one guy said, there are so many fields off of the interstate that you won't see to many hanging out nearby. I have a good friend that lives in Springfield MO and him nor I hardly ever see deer while driving. I also have another friend that lives in Cincinnati OH and we have driven there a couple of times and I don't recall seeing many deer myself.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The midwest has bigger bucksfor sure but I'll go with Alberta if given a choice.Not alot of deer but some realHogs!

Quick Reply: The midwest may have bigger bucks but..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.