Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

painting arrows

Old 02-12-2007, 06:33 PM

Default painting arrows

Ok my seasons over and I'm trying to find things to do with any of my hunting stuff. I got my uncles old fletching jig and put new fletchings on some of my arrows. Now im wondering if it would hurt arrow flight to spray paint the arrow shafts? I wonder if it willmake the arrows inconsistent. Im already missing bow hunting so I've gotta figure out something else to do to kill time. I even tried making chilli lol anyone know what to do if you put too much salt in it? Right now it tastes like lickin a salt block.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: painting arrows

do a forum search on cresting and painting there should be alot come up, look for Greg/ MO's posts
Old 02-12-2007, 07:03 PM

Alright thanks cougar. any idea on how to fix the chilli?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol no im not much of a chili maker myself
Old 02-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

lol id try adding water
Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chad,

This is a great read .... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1399868&mpage=1
Old 02-12-2007, 09:50 PM

I have tinkered like you want to. I took GT arrows (blue fletching) and taped the fletching with painters tape for taping trim. I then taped around the arrow at the manufactures label. Lastly, I sprayed a light coat of white paint overthe shaft. I only used enough paint to cover the dark color of the arrow.

The yellow flechted arrow was painted then fletched. I tore a vane afer 100+ shots from a whisker bisket. I saw in a previous post that Duco glued was used. I will try it next time.

It would not win any dipping contests but it is functional. I only wanted to track my arrow visually at shot. I do not know my arrow speed so I can't say how that was affected. I don't know how much drop, if any, because I practiced with these arrows too. Although, neither arrow flight nor accuracy were a problem.
Sorry about the pics. It took me an hour to up load it. Wow!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

PUTA COULPE BIG CHUNKS OF RAW POTATO IN THE CHILI AND LET IT SIMMER...SHOULD ABSORB ALOT OF SALT....oops caps lock stuck, sorry!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:28 AM

Thanks for everyones replies. I don't know why I didn't think to use the search function gregs post showed exactly how to do it and I'll have to try putting potatoes in it. Its bad enough I can't even hardly eat it and hell I'll eat anything. lol
Old 02-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

IA--

I'm in the process of painting some arrows now...after reading the post provided above about a month ago. I have 4 done so far. I'm switching from 4"veins to 2" blazers so I figured this is the time to crest as well. It's really pretty simple. To make things easier for me I took an empty pringles can, (a tennis ball can would work too) drilled a hole dead center in the top and bottom and put my arrow into the can...using the lid as the stop point of my paint. The can prevents any overspray from getting on the rest of the shaft. Several thinner coats of paint seem better that one heavy coat. After it dries/cures for 24 hours, I fletch using super glue.
My paint is white and my blazers are yellow (2) and white with a yellow nock.Looks pretty good to my eyes and should be easy to find in the woods after a pass-thru. I have not noticed any change in the flight of my arrows that I attribute to the paint. I do think the blazers helped me out though.
The pringles can works pretty good so you may want to give that a try. And one tip I read on here too was to put a dab of glue on the leading tip of your fletch. That will help prevent it from coming off. However, be careful with the glue as any excess that you have to wipe off will also take off your new paint.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: painting arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.