Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are super sharp broadheads really better? >

Are super sharp broadheads really better?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are super sharp broadheads really better?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Are super sharp broadheads really better?

There are many that will state that it is more affective/damaging to stab someone with a more dull bladed knife, versus a really sharp one, as it wili do more tearing and the wound will bleed more, versus close-up. Would this be similiar for broadheads? I am interested in the opinions from others. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are super sharp broad heads really better?

yes sharper is betteri want the head to cut as much as possible not to drag by tissue . The whole idea of bow hunting is to get maximum bleeding not like a gun that blasts through the tissue

[/align]
Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are super sharp broadheads really better?

Some prefer them scalpel sharp, others prefer them file sharp (leave very tiny serrations, believed to retain sharpness better upon entering hide). Honestly, I don't know which is best since I never really tried them file sharp. But there are people who swear by file sharpened broadheads.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

tearing will leave more muscle damage .... cutting will leave more vein and artery damage .. those things are pretty elastic! A razor sharp broadhead will cut the artery instead of the artery flexing against the head.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

oh yeah ..... so to answer your question ..... YES!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you cut yourself with a razor it just doesnt want to quit bleeding. That is what I want out of my broadheads.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM

For combat a dull jagged edge takes longer to heal and may induce infection. This was a common thing when sword and other edged weapons were the tools of combat. However the more trauma to the wound the faster the blood clots. My bow kills amost always leave a better blood trail then my gun hunts do.

In hunting we are not looking to wound or damage the prey. A sharper blade cuts more cleanly and will bleed more so the animal will bleed out faster. It will also cut more blood vessels, veins and arteries were as a dull blade might let an artery roll around the blade.

A sharper blade will also let the wound heal faster and cleaner. So if you were to miss a vital area there would be a better chance of the deer living until next year.

And sharper blades also penitrate better obviously.

I never have gotten the idea behind the Steel Force serated edge blades. It sort of defeats the purpose of using a cut on contact head.

In my opinion if you are willing to give up the penitration of a sharp head and use a dull, nicked or serrated blade you might as well step up to a larger cutting mechanical.

Paul
Old 02-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is true that a dull head will cause a lot of damage, but the wound of such a broadhead is ripped as opossed to sliced, giving the blood platlets some thing to latch onto speeding up the time it takes for the woundtoclot up.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

the sharper the blade the cleaner the cut of the arteries and vains which makes it much harder to clot. I do agree that a duller blade would make a larger hole but without as much bleeding due to clotting.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:46 PM

What they just said is correct.

Quick Reply: Are super sharp broadheads really better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.