Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed hunting

Old 02-12-2007, 09:28 AM

Default RE: Shed hunting

We went out for a couple hours yesterday afternoon but didn't find anything but turkeys.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found 3 all from last year, I don't know of any one else who shed hunts here. Thats probibly why I got some from last year. Hopefully I get a bunch from this year. I don't think they started falling yet.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:08 PM

my buddy and I went out today and found nothing... we'll try in about 2 weeks again
Old 02-12-2007, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

I have found 3 all from last year, I don't know of any one else who shed hunts here. Thats probibly why I got some from last year. Hopefully I get a bunch from this year. I don't think they started falling yet.
Man I wish I had that problem!

Seems everybody who hunts our property goes out as soon as the snow melts. We're lucky to find a half dozen a year.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:52 PM

I here ya on that one... What % of the antlers do you think typically fell off by now??I was guessing maybe a quarter of them?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

I posted this yesterday, but must have screwed up-it didn't show up on board. My buddy found to drops on my place this weekend. One nice 4 point and a small screwed up rack. He also saw a good 10 out walking w/ both sides intact as well as a couple of smaller bucks. The area is one where they yard up when it is cold like this so I am hopefull of finding more this weekend.

Has anyone got an opinion on the cold causing antlers to drop sooner than normal?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dang shed im jelious, looks like you have a dang good area. Thats a years worth for me your holding.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blood, thanks...

they are out here....just spread out withthe low deer densities..I'll cover a lot (I measure it by how many pounds I shed in a day) of steep ground in a day to find 1-5 sheds and many days I go home empty handed..5 shedsis a good day here...10 is exceptional. I usually average over the springabout2-3 per all day outings.. Heavy snow pack really makes a big difference and this was one of those winters where we got a lot of snow in the high country, so the shed hunting shouldbe more productive than the last couple years. So far on my first 3 trips of the year, my finds are definately indicating that.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

funny you talk of shedding weight, i decided to go out a couple days ago because of a buck my son had seen the other day with half a rack (a big boy) I gave it my best three hours of looking and came up with nothing yet, but lost two pounds myself from walking and climbing hills.We have old strip mine ground all around us and they can be quite nasty getting around in. I will be looking alot in a week or two.happy hunting and keep posting them pics.
ORIGINAL: shed33

Blood, thanks...

they are out here....just spread out withthe low deer densities..I'll cover a lot (I measure it by how many pounds I shed in a day) of steep ground in a day to find 1-5 sheds and many days I go home empty handed..5 shedsis a good day here...10 is exceptional. I usually average over the springabout2-3 per all day outings.. Heavy snow pack really makes a big difference and this was one of those winters where we got a lot of snow in the high country, so the shed hunting shouldbe more productive than the last couple years. So far on my first 3 trips of the year, my finds are definately indicating that.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:16 PM

im heading out now to see if i can find any. BE BACK LATEr

Quick Reply: Shed hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.