Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone thought of this? >

Anyone thought of this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone thought of this?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone thought of this?

I'm not really sold on this theory. Sounds to me that's more like testing the sharpness or the broadhead, as against the ke it takes to penetrate the hide.
It's like walking up to a stationary vehicleto see how hard you'd be hit--as against a vehicle moving at a speedand runs into you.
Obviously the later of the two would do much more damage.
The fact nevertheless is a 'sharper' broadhead WILL cause more blood loss compared to a broadhead that's not as sharp. Ke and penetrationaren't alike.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM

The blades would all have to be the same sharpness for the best results but the answer is no surprise..........and one of the many reasons I shoot Magnus Stingers.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm wondering if they pulled the hide to "deer taughtness" and SHOT the different broadheads at them.....if they'd be able to discern a difference????

And, if not......what good was the test???

Then.....I'd like to see a similar test done pressing each broadhead tip against BONE and pushing until something "gave". The let's shoot those same broadheads at bone.

THAT'S why I use a heavy, chisel-tipped broadhead. Going through the hide is like a razor into hot butter for ANY broadhead shot from a bow (unless it's a VERY acute angle).
Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

There are benefits and draw backs to both designs.

The COC style of heads like the phantom and stingers areamazingly efficientwhen no bone is encountered as they slice from the get go where the chisel heads must "punch" through that hide and muscle.

However, the chisel type of heads shines when heavy bone is encountered becasue it tends to shatter the bone and allows the blades and arrow shaftto pass thru those bones with less resistance where as the COC heads must slice through that bone and thus create more drag on the blades and arrow shaft.
I'm not sure I completely agree with this assumption. Most times that a COC head fails when contacting bone is due to the tip curling or blades shattering, a tonto shaped tip, that has more strength than a needle point head on a COC blade may still be more effective than a chisle point in that bone is grained and a sharp blade that doesn't turn or curl hasa good chance of splitting the bone and passing through. Think of it like this: You have a log and you want to split the log. Which is going to take less effort from you, a fairly sharp wedge or a steel rod with a dull rounded point? The blade is more likely to split the grain than a chisel point which depends on it's diameter to bust the bone open to allow the arrow to travel through. On another website there's a doctor who does penetration/failure tests on all broadheads on large African game. He found that COC heads with a Tonto style tip are most dependable and effective.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

You have a log and you want to split the log. Which is going to take less effort from you, a fairly sharp wedge or a steel rod with a dull rounded point
That's all well and good but logs don't shatter like bones do. You also aren't shooting with the grain like you are when splitting logs. You are shooting across the grain which is why the bones tends to shatter with a chisel tip head like a Muzzy, Innerlock,or slick trick. When blade only makes contact with bone the bone tends to be sliced rather than shattered.

I know of Dr. Ashby and his tests and I don't agree with much of his findings. Mosts of his published tests were done many years ago (mid 80's)with much different equipment. There has been much over the recent years to greatly disproove his findings. Take a slick trick broadhead for isntance. According to him this broadhead wouldn't penetrate worth a flip but we all know just how wrong that is.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the orientation of the broadhead when you contact the bone. Bone does have a grain that runs it's length and can be split. I think chisel points were made to offset the tip failures of most needle point broadheads. I think a strong tip COC will bust through most bone, especially of deer.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2005update1.pdf

Go tot he bottom and see his own pictures of COC heads and bones.

More times than not a COC head will cut bone rether than shatter it. Regardless of how the blades are oriented to the bone.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:18 PM

I used to have a video that was made in the 80's, where a guy pulled deer hide down over broadheads. COC heads went through the easiest. He didn't have a scale under the arrow though. But what always worried me about COC heads was "tip fold over", after hitting bone.Being a butcher on the side I have pulled COC heads out of deer and have seen it for myself. That said, I think todays COC heads are much stronger. COC's, chisel points, doesn't matter todays bows pack more than enough KE to put either through a deer.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

Recently at a bow hunt, I was listening to a guy that has primarily bow hunted his entire life and taken game from all around the world talk about bow hunting. He brought up a point that I had never thought of. The amount of pressure that it takes for a broadhead to pass thru a deer hide. I have shot 3 and 4 blade muzzys since they came out and had pretty good success with them, but according to him, he has taken a majority of the broadheads on the market, held the arrows on the scale, pulling the deer hide over the broadhead to measure the pounds needed to pass thru. He told me that the 3 blade muzzy was around 12 lbs. The G5 Montec at 21 lbs, and a few other popular broadheads in the teens. He said that the muzzy phantom was 4lbs. Well I bought some phantoms and since I do taxidermy tested my 4 blades and the phantoms. The 4 bladed muzzy passed thru at 13lbs, the phantom at 4.5lbs. I am now shooting the phantoms.....I want every advantage!
Hey, I shot the Phantoms for a t.v. show and they are great as long as they do not hit any bone. I shota 140s 8-point at 20 yards, broadside with his shoulder slightly back. The arrow hit (maybe) on the last 1 inch of the shoulder and locked up. The deer did not bleed at all and needless to say I did not get him. I have shot a lot of broadheads through the years just as I shot the mentioned deer and had no troubles. To me, they do cut quickly, but do not drive like some others on the market. Had I hit this buck in the meat of the shoulder, I would understand, but a perfect hit in every means(except the 1 inch of bone) should provide deer meat. I was P*ssed. They don't even blow through a turkey like other heads do. Just my experience.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

that is a really good point you brought up...i might have to try that idea with some of my broadheads this up coming season!

Quick Reply: Anyone thought of this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.