Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When are you mid-westerners gonna start looking for sheds? >

When are you mid-westerners gonna start looking for sheds?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When are you mid-westerners gonna start looking for sheds?

Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default When are you mid-westerners gonna start looking for sheds?

I was thinking early to mid March for Southern Illinois... A fellow who ate with us a couple nights ago who lives on the edge of town says the bucks which frequents his yard are still carrying their antlers.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Default RE: When are you mid-westerners gonna start looking for sheds?

I would agree with March, maybe even first week, weather depending. At least that will likely be the time I start to in MN.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg you get any snow in your parts??? I mean enough to burry the bones? This time of year.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Troy, nah... we've got two snowfalls in the last couple weeks that gave us about an inch or two apiece... and they melt away within a few days. In March, the temps'll be back up to mid-40's I would think.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually look for sheds around the first week of March. Most of them are fallen by then. I don't like looking earlier and pushing the deer around, if they're still carrying. Now if I'm looking on public land, with other shed hunters around, then I usually start out earlier.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg, i will start looking around the last week of Feb. here in southern Indiana. Im still getting game cam pics of bucks with both sides other than one small one with half a rack, and seeing plenty still carrying racks. Im still a firm believer that if the Buck to Doe ratio is a close mix in an areathen the bucks have to compete with others more during the rut stressing them out moremaking themshed earlier( just my opinion) And i believe the weather plays a role also. harder to find food, the earlier they shed. again my opinion. my area has way to many does, and the competion is not as fearse, so i usually see racks as late as march still holding on sometimes. any way good luck in your searching.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm waiting for warmer weather as I am freezing in these single digits. All the trail cams tell me to wait anyway as even the big boys still have their racks. In fact, had a picture of 2 bucks sparring the other night. Early March sounds about right to me, so long as the weather is nice enough.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:42 PM

Where is the best place to look for sheds? Near bedding areas or other? I've never tried and am going to give it a shot this year!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:51 PM

I always look near rubs I've found...I almost always find mine within 100 yds from the rubs. I think mid march is when i usually start looking, I saw an eight pointer walking up the drive about two weeks ago,so i know they're still "on".Its like -6 without the windchill here so I know alot of deer are doing what little movement they do during the dawn/dusk combos
any sun here is scarce lately!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Greg, I have seen big bucks carry antlers into March before, and I always looked later, but if you check a couple of recent threads out on dogs finding antlers you will find pictures I took Friday morning of my buddy holding a matched set from a large 8 pointer that was dragged into a neighbor's yard by a dog last week. This rack would gross score in the mid-140's, maybe 150.

In fact I saw a smaller 8 pt. buck that had lost one side in early January while bow season was still in. A neighbor of the property found the side a day or two before. I believe antlers dropping from a buck vary.........why I don't know. I've been told by an old and very experienced bowhunter/shed antler hunter that most people would be surprised at how fast rodents can carry off, hide antlers and chew them completely up. After speaking with him, I honestly feel the time to start looking is now and most successful shed antler hunters will need to spend 1-2 full days a week looking if they are to be successful shed hunters.

Quick Reply: When are you mid-westerners gonna start looking for sheds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.