Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Urban deer

Old 02-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Urban deer

I work at the University of Dallas in Irving Texas. It is across the street from Texas Stadium where the Cowboys play. The University owns several hundred acres of woods along the Trinity river bottom. This afternoon I saw a doe out there. I was pretty surprised. In the background I could see the Dallas skyline. I had no idea the place held deer. I have seen yotes and other wildlife in the past. I just didn't think deer would be in an area this urban. I was not 1 mile from Texas Stadium. I also found out that as an employee of the University I have permission to "utilize" the land for recreational purposes. I can bow hunt there. I wonder if this was a resident deer or a transient. I'll be doing some scouting here real soon to try and find out!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Urban deer

I hunt in suburban Chicago. The urban deer don't look up!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Yeah but nowadays urban deer carry tec-9's
Old 02-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

several hundred acres huh?? betcha theres alot more deer in there than that one! hunting urban deer is a bit diffrent than the big woods..but can be some good hunting. i hunt a small couple acre apple orchard. one morning watching 2 young bucks eat apples i could hear people leaving for work across the valley behind me..and the maniciple maintnece guys were loading up the truck with tools from their shed 200yds up the valley on the other side. the deer didnt care at all. just munchin away at apples..then a squirrel started barking at me..seen me trying to unfog my binocs...deer looked around...couldnt figure out what the squirrel was barking at but smartly snuck back into the thicket. i got lots of urban spots. sometimes i hate listening to traffic and trains and kids playing off in the distance etc...but it can be good at times. one of my favorite spots i can see the turnpike from my tree. man that thing is NOISY. funny when you got deer infront of you or a gobbler coming in how you dont hear it anymore lol. my biggest fear is hitting a deer with the bow and it making it to someones yard or something. i just dont want to have someone that doesnt hunt have to see me knock on their door to ask if i could go in their backyard and retrieve my deer laying under little johnys swing set or something..most my spots im far enough from houses etc to not to have that happen..but anythings possible with a hit deer...
Old 02-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to admit it but I've wounded a few deer in the suburbs and none of them turned up in a yard. They usually head for cover.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I've hunted deer on the trinity not too far from there and there were some MONSTERS. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised with what you find. Is it all around that lagoon that's out there?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]there are a lot of nice urban deer in spots you wouldn't think

[/align]

[blockquote]

[/align]

[blockquote]

[/align][/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote]
Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot quite a few deer in these tight urban areas andthey all stayed within the woods after the shot. I'm able to count 7 houses from one of my set ups.[:@]
Old 02-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

haha this sounds so funny, on sunda you could sit in your stand and listen to the game [8D]when they show the blimp shots late in the year you could wear blaze orange and we could try to pick ya out
Old 02-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I only hunt urban areas. Sometimes right out of the kids playset.You see more deer but shotscan bedifficult.

I was told there wasn't a single deer in Dallas. I've looked everytime there but never saw one. I'm glad to hear they were wrong. Maybe I'll bring my bow next time.

Quick Reply: Urban deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.