Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Blood gets the Kill? >

First Blood gets the Kill?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Blood gets the Kill?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Blood gets the Kill?

So here's my question....Does the guy who draws first blood on the animal LEGALLY get the deer.???? I have no idea what the true answer to this is. I don't know if it's been covered before or not. How do you guys view this. I know in my little hunting community (including friends and fam.) we say whoever draws the first blood gets the animal. I was just wondering because I really actually want to know what the law would say about this.....really interested. Feedback needed! Got any ideas guys?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Blood gets the Kill?

i do not agree with first blood. if i shoot the deer in the leg an it runs into you an u shoot it in the killzone then YOU killed the deer my leg shot would not of killed that deer(right away anyway) same as a hinquater shot.. if i shoot em in the butt the deers gonna runs for a ways... so i think it depends on where u shoot it first.. now if i made a vital shoot but he ran 100 yards up to you an you shoot it again in the vitals i think the deer should be mine
Old 02-01-2007, 02:12 AM

On our property it is the unwritten rule that the first person tomortally woundan animal takes it.

Say my dad is in a stand 75 yards away and shoots a deer. The shot is behind the shoulder (considered a lethal hit), but forwhatever reason the deer makes it to my stand an offers me a follow up shot. Were I to release an arrow to put the deer down, the animal would still be tagged by my father.

As far as the law is concerned, I have no idea.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt a 10 acre wood patch that borders a soy field. 200 yards across the field there is a swamp. We do not have permission to be in the the field or swamp and the adjoining land owner is a real piece of work. A few years back they were out in their swamp during gun season and one of the poach brothers unloaded a 12 ga. at a decent buck, he totally missed anything that would resemble a kill shot. One shot grazed the top of the neck and the other shot in the lower back leg. The deer ran across the soy field and into our 10 acre woods where my friend, the landowner, brought it down with a single shot from a .50 cal muzzleloader.
Upon hanging the deer in the barn he noticed the couple scratches this other idiot put on it, I do mean scratches. Anyways, a couple hours later the swamp poachers show up and tell my friend that it is their deer. My friend being the nice man that he is and also a bit of a smart a$$ says they can have it if they can tell him where on the animal it was shot. The guy that shot at this deer had actually shot at it from the opposite side of which the actual kill shot was. The guy in the poach party got mad and called the DNR here in Michigan. A couple of the poach party guys decided to leave at this point, probably convicted felons with no rights or licenses to be hunting.
Anyways, the DNR Officer came and inspected the deer, listened to the blah blah of first blood and awarded the deer to my friend who had placed the only kill shot on the animal.

I do not know what would happen legally in the bowhunting world if their was indeed a double kill shot. Meaning 2 arrows to the vitals. Morally, should belong to the first hunter with vital shot placement.

Sorry about the hostility to the POACH party but, that's what they do. A couple years ago the DNR took a combine fromone of themfor shooting deer from it with a 7MM and out of season and also in a shotgun zone.......

Old 02-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

One time I was pushing a timber during shotgun season with friends and family members and a friend of mine shot a very nice buck in the front leg. Well it turned back into the timber and came right back to me where I put him down with one well placed shot. The friend of mine said no problem you killed it but certain members of the hunting party thought he should get the deer. Well I decided to tag the buck and took it home and boned it out then took the rack and dug a hole and buried it. My way of letting him go back to nature. The people who thought I should give the deer to him were very upset when they learned what I did. I wasn't to worked up about it and neither was the friend of mine. I did give him half the meat and that was all he really wanted. That was the last day of my season do to the ruckess that was raised over this situation and didn't hunt with them the following year. I don't know what is politically correct just what I think is.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

I can't find reference to it in our "regs", but both MdDave and Washington Hunter gave good examples of what was discussed at a hunter safety course I sat through with my son. This topic came up and we happened to have a GW as a guest speaker. He said if first blood is fatal blood, that person is entitled to the deer...even if shot again by someone else before it dies. On the other hand, if the first shot is a wounding shot only and someone else follows up with a kill shot...the kill shot gets the deer.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think there is a law in NYS defining this. We give the deer to the one who had the first kill shot. Now I am talking in the kill zone. A gut shot deer, or even a single lung shot would not qualify for us as a kill shot. Don't get me wrong, single lung shots will eventualy kill a deer, but sometimes hours later.

My nephew was hunting his first day of shotgun. We were hunting on my brothers friend's land, as we just lost permission to hunt where we always did due to a divorce situation. It waspitch black, not sure where to go, so we sat together. Not long after first light, a beautiful 8 pointer came running by with a doe. I shot at the buck ... nothing. I dropped the doe with my next shot. The buck then ran straight towards us. My gun jammed and my nephew dropped the buck not 10 yards from us.

I wondered how I missed him as I don't normally miss with this gun. When we hung the buck, I noticed 3 holes in him. I had hit him perfectly broadside, entry and exit hole. His shot was right in the front of the chest. In that situation, I did not push the issue because it was my nephew. It was his first buck and would have been my best buck to date. I felt there was no reason to stake my claim in this situation.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:15 AM

Out here in Utah the mountian lion gets the kill on a poor shot.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whenever I hunt with my friends , it's allways been agreed by all that the killing shot gets the deer.
Thats why if one of us sees a deer that has been shot in the vitals , will keep a eye on it and see where it goes but if the deer was only wounded then will take a second shot to put it down.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:08 AM

What is nice about 1st blood is there is no debate about how lethal the shot was.We have all heard the story about the bad shot, howit didn't go far and droped from the back leg hit or hind end.Twice I have killed deer that was bleeding and both times I gave it to the fellow that tracked it to me. 1st. blood removes all arguments,and I hate arguments.

[/align]

Quick Reply: First Blood gets the Kill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.