Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Blood gets the Kill? >

First Blood gets the Kill?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Blood gets the Kill?

Old 02-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Blood gets the Kill?

I would also follow the first blood rule in that situation, but I am pretty sure as far as the law goes, the hunter that administers the actual killing shot (final blow) is the one who has legal claim to the critter. A week or so ago, there was a thread about an animal running into the highway, andin that instance, the motorist that hits the animal has legal right to claim it, whether it had been shot or not. I think the same thing applies here. I had seen on a hunting show one time, it was a do-it-yourself kind of show, and the guy shot a buck on public land, it ran off,maybe 100yards, and when they followed the blood trail, all they found were drag marks where someone had claimed the deer. Unless it is tagged, I don't think the hunter has any actual claim to it when it is laying in the woods. Cowardly, unethical way to get an animal, absolutely. Legal way, I think so. Correct me if I'm wrong on this please if anyone knows the exact law.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

In my state it's whomever claims possession of it once it's dead. If you nick one and it runs into another guy's shooting lane and he kills it then it's his as it should be.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MdDave

i do not agree with first blood. if i shoot the deer in the leg an it runs into you an u shoot it in the killzone then YOU killed the deer my leg shot would not of killed that deer(right away anyway) same as a hinquater shot.. if i shoot em in the butt the deers gonna runs for a ways... so i think it depends on where u shoot it first.. now if i made a vital shoot but he ran 100 yards up to you an you shoot it again in the vitals i think the deer should be mine
yep
Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just wondering. Thanks guys.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

so i'm not sure what to do here.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned

Well, I would just delete that 2nd to last post if you want my opinion
Old 02-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks hardcore.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

Whenever I hunt with my friends , it's allways been agreed by all that the killing shot gets the deer.
Thats why if one of us sees a deer that has been shot in the vitals , will keep a eye on it and see where it goes but if the deer was only wounded then will take a second shot to put it down.
I couldnt agree with you more RD
Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

that is one of the stupidest things i have heard.(first blood gets the deer)that like saying i hit one in the leg.someone finishes it off with a chest shot.and that my deer.dont think so.i have never had this problem but it should go to the person who puts the first fatal shot on the animal.thats only fair.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmaster_27

that is one of the stupidest things i have heard.(first blood gets the deer)that like saying i hit one in the leg.someone finishes it off with a chest shot.and that my deer.dont think so.i have never had this problem but it should go to the person who puts the first fatal shot on the animal.thats only fair.
no no don't get me wrong I'm in agreement with you. I think it's dumb too, was just wondering what legally was going on.

Quick Reply: First Blood gets the Kill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.