Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Compound or Traditional >

Compound or Traditional

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Compund
50.00%
Traditional
10.87%
Both
34.78%
Neither
4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Compound or Traditional

Old 01-30-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Compound or Traditional

Which do you all shoot and give us a little why. I shoot both. I've shot compound for a few years and have just got bit by the trab bow bug. I love both and will switch off using both (paid too much for my compound and all that stuff to set it down completely lol).

*Please don't turn this into a flaming, complaining thread. Just tell us what you shoot and why you personally prefer it.*
Old 01-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Compound or Traditional

I use a compound because of the speed that you don't really get from a traditional and let's not forget the fact that you can decrease the the poundage on your compound for the winter months.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:20 AM

I shoot compound, as I currently prefer it. I may at some point give traditional a whirl, but for now I will stick with what I got.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Which do you all shoot and give us a little why.
I shoot longbows and recurves. Why - the easy and simple answer is because I have to. It was the way I was made.

Compounds feel foreign and unatural in my hands and unpleasing tomy eyes.

For hunting, I enjoy their quietness and quick pointing ability.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 AM
bigcountry

I shoot both. Both have certain advantages. I shot at a doe and missed this year with my longbow, and she didn't even know I shot. On boar, I prefer using a longbow with a heavy cedar. With a longbow, both eyes are open and clear veiw to the target. Also you can shoot in many different positions with a longbow. bad part, I consider it good, is you have to commit to the longbow, with practice.

And with compound, can be complicated, lots of crap hanging off that can get in ones way of making a shot.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I clicked both, but right now its overwhelmingly more with a compound. I want to get back into trad more this coming season. I won't feel completed as a bowhunter until I take a deer with trad equipment.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I clicked both, but right now its overwhelmingly more with a compound. I want to get back into trad more this coming season. I won't feel completed as a bowhunter until I take a deer with trad equipment.
Amen to that! There is just something about going back to the ways of old to take a deer that has a certain appeal. The pride behind doing it like thatmaybe? I guess its another reason I'm picking up trad shooting.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another reason for me is that my 1st couple years hunting I used a recurve. I had3 shots and missed them all. Going full circle and closign the deal on one will have a little redemtion factor to it also.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:22 AM

I agree, that's kinda why I'm getting into trad bows now. I had an old long bow I used to shoot before I could hunt, I was pretty good with it and always wanted to string up the recurves we had. I wasn't gonna be able to pull them back at the time though, so we never got them strung up. Then, I was rummaging around this x-mas break and found them again, and decided I was gonna give it a try this year.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 AM

Now that I've tooted my horn for the trad bows I figured I should do the same for compounds lol. I love my compound bow, simple as that. There is something special about the mechanical feeling of pulling back the bow and setting your form and releasing the arrow. Its like shooting a firestick over a regular rifle. Being in tune with the weapon as you get ready to shoot is a magical feeling, especially when you connect with the target on a perfect shot.I think that is another draw of shooting compounds for some, people like thefeeling of have total control oversomething mechanical.

Few things are more rewarding than shooting tight groups with a bow at the range and have someone (a non-bowhunter)walk up and say "holy sh*t!, you're pretty good!". I've had it happen. The smile didn't leave my face all day. And looking back on it, I was shooting DARN GOOD that day! Great Feeling!

Quick Reply: Compound or Traditional

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.