Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDM and friends

Old 01-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: QDM and friends

I was trying to stay out of this but couldn't.
Kobear,
I applaud you for your efforts. The moment someone even remotely tries to share thier opinions about letting younger bucks pass they get crucified. It's a shame. About your buddies razzing you, just keep firing back. When they bust on you for not getting anything, throw out all the ones you passed on that you COULD have killed. And when you do shoot one, make sure they know it. Make sure they know that with some patience and sefl control, you all could have a chance to be shooting nice ones. Good luck. I remember the 1st time I told my Dad I wasnt going to shoot the 1st buck by. He looked at me like I just told him I was going to eat the family pet. It was incomprehensible to him.He just couldn't understand why. 3 mounts on the wall later and he's got a good understanding of why I do it.

I've run into several guys who see some of the nice deer I've killed and say "I been hunting 30 some years and never took a buck like that." But they've alwaysshot the 1st one by themin those 30 years.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

You don't describe what your situation is: i.e. leased, public land, or private, but here's my take...

If you are a guest or on public land, shoot (or pass) what your host declares "fair game".

If it's a lease, shoot what makes you happy or find some like minded guys and start another.

If it's your land, tell your buddies what is fair game, if they can't abide by your wishes, dis-invite them.

I live in Jersey as well. While we have a long season, no Sunday hunting and long workdays really don't leave me much time to hunt. Hunting public land I always try to take a doe for the table first and hold out for a mature buck, but, at a certain point in the season, an easy shot at a legal deer is... venison.

U_R

Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: KoBear

ok, the dark side comment was just a lil joke, didnt want u to take it to heart. i apologize if u did and you were offended.

trade off.... how can it not be a trade off? you shoot less deer but you shoot bigger racked deer. that is a trade off.

and higher goals, yea, holding out to shoot a deer that had more than 3 points on a side would be what many would call higher goals.

i am not attacking or trying to be condescending to you or anyone else who is perfectly happy shooting a spike. a spike is a trophy to some. i was there early in my hunting career. there was a point in time that a spike to me was a reason to call everyone in my phonebook and scream on top of my lungs. but i rather pass on that and let my lil brother or cousin have a shot at it. but the people i hunt with the majority of the time all have a bunch of bucks under their belts and continue to shoot small bucks and complain bc i am the only one shooting deer that are not 1 and a half years old (which is the average age of a buck shot in NJ). if this is not your philosophy, dont take it to heart, but a comment from you isnt necessary. i was asking for comments from people who are like minded and have instituted a QDM plan on their property, i was wondering how they did it and pulled everyone together.

and to suggest that i have an "ulterior motive" seemed kinda rude to me and i was offended and felt that i needed to become defensive.
Kobear,

I understand what you were trying to ask and I posted twice giving you my opinion, I was just replying to your post about you accusing me of attacking you, which I didn't.

Thank you for clearing up the whole condensending issue, I'm glad to hear (read) that this was not your contention.

I understand your plight,I think rybohunter said it but I too get questioned about how I was able to shoot the bucks I have, and I replied similar asking them if they always shoot the first buck that walks by.

Perhaps I worded my responces the wrong waybutI am very weary of those who post about QDM when in reality ALL they really care about is antlers. Maybe I put you in that catagory and I shouldn't have, I apologize if I did.

Good luck trying to get the others to see things your way but please realize this may be an up hill battle. If the others you hunt with are truely bitching and complaining about small bucks then as GregH put it, your actions will speak louder than words.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing I did for QDM on my place is I got a trail camera. It shows you what is out there. Year after year you can show the people that don't believe in QDM how much a deer can grow in a year. Then after two years of pics take a picuture of the same buck and ask then which deer would you shoot. Most of them would pick the bigger buck and tell them it is the same deer just a year later. Just my .02