Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the opposite of bowhunting? >

Whats the opposite of bowhunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the opposite of bowhunting?

Old 01-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Default RE: Whats the opposite of bowhunting?

Oh I'm not saying a 800 yard shot is a walk in the park, but I'd be more willing to congratulate someone on it if they did it off hand.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: Zdeerslayer

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

not my cup of tea either, but Z, if you think a 900 yard shot takes no skill .... I am not sure I could do it
No,it takes a lot of skill. But when your shooting off a bench w/ laser range finders, and spotting scopes its not the same. But dont get me wrong, I think a 200-300 yard shot is difficult.
A 200 - 300 yard shot off hand may be difficult, but throw a bench under me and give me a range finder and its cake.
Yeah Wash, but that was an 890 yard shot ....
The farthest I have shot out to on a range in 200 yds, and I was keeping them in the x ring, but mind you I was using a sand bag. A 900 yd shot takes a lot of know how when it come to elevation and windage. I just dont think its fair for the deer that it dosnt even have a chance, only that the hunter may miss, or worse, make an unethical shot. Hunting to me is getting close to the game your hunting, but thats just me. If I want to take a 900 yd shot, I'll do it at paper.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

my grandpa was the 1000 yrd off hand champion in the FBI, do you want to congradulate him. Shooting is in my blood, dad was a ESU sniper in NYC, uncle was a SRT sniper in San Diego, and I, well I, bowhunt.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 PM

Long Distance shooting like that takes an enormous amount of skill and knowledge...but that's not hunting...thats just not the right way to take an animal
Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

I target shoot rifles and there are few people imo capable of making accurate shots like that guy did. 900 yds is a hell ofa long shot.I am sick of hunters putting down other hunters' legal hunting methods. Hunters fighting amongst our selves is the biggest threat to our sport. I have been guilty in the pass with statements,"The fricken gun season opens up and all of the damn deer will be shot up." or "Party hunting deerhunters suck, they just herd them up and shoot them." I now keep these thoughts between my wife and I and family. If it is a legal method of hunting, let it be.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I target shoot rifles and there are few people imo capable of making accurate shots like that guy did. 900 yds is a hell ofa long shot.I am sick of hunters putting down other hunters' legal hunting methods. Hunters fighting amongst our selves is the biggest threat to our sport. I have been guilty in the pass with statements,"The fricken gun season opens up and all of the damn deer will be shot up." or "Party hunting deerhunters suck, they just herd them up and shoot them." I now keep these thoughts between my wife and I and family. If it is a legal method of hunting, let it be.
Very well said IMO!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

well, this is very difficult too, imo it probably takes more skill to hit a deer at 900 yards with a gun than a deer at 20. you think a wind is a big factor when shooting an arrow 30yds try a bullet at 900. THat could throw you off by feet. ITs tough, it takes guys with good equipment and they have to know how to adjust for distance wind...etc. Its like sniping in the army, they have people feeding them yardages, windage, i honestly view it as an art, they get a thrill with shooting them from extreme ranges as we do bowhunting, dont look down on them because theyd rather do it their perfectly legal way.....
Old 01-27-2007, 11:37 PM

The problem with this is that IMO it really just looks like killing and not hunting. Kind of reminds me of the guy shooting at people on the interstatein Ohio (I think it was Ohio) Yes it takes skill to shoot a deer from 900 yards away but why not shoot paper from 900 yards away and try some real skill to get a bruiser buck inside of 30 yards!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:01 AM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Yup.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 AM

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

The problem with this is that IMO it really jsut looks like killing and not hunting. Kind of reminds me of the guy shooting at people on the interstatein Ohio (I think it was Ohio) Yes it takes skill to shoot a deer from 900 yards away but why not shoot paper from 900 yards away and try some real skill to get a bruiser buck inside of 30 yards!

Who really cares how far a deer was killed from??........I'm sure the deer wouldn't feel any better about someone killing him from in close

Everything in the hunting world is geared towards making it easier to kill a deer.

The weapon debate is pointless unless you kill them with your bare hands. A rifle hunter will get it from shotgunners.....who get it from crossbows.......who get it from compound shooters.......who hear it from traditional guys...........There is always someone out there who thinks their way is harder or more sporting or more challenging or requires more skill blah blah blah.

It's all the same in the end.

900 yard shoot takes WAY more skill then I think is being given credit for here............no matter what the target.

Quick Reply: Whats the opposite of bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.