Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Politically correct bowhunters >

Politically correct bowhunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Politically correct bowhunters

Old 01-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Politically correct bowhunters

Sorry GUS
No problem Jeff......

My point was......people seem to be accepting of the death part (the picture). They know it's dead.
Are they accepting only because the pic is clean? Would they feel the same way if there was blood in the pic?

I'm new to this.....but I know my wife and my boss would accept the photos I have over the ones of me autopsying my deer when I put them on the walls.
Sure they like them better, but it does not tell the story imo. A well placed shot on a deer is a beautiful thing and we all agree to that .......I think. Why, because the animal died quickly! I know you are passionate about that Jeff, so why not show it? It is a huge part of what we are trying to accompolish.

Let me ask you this. Are your wife and Boss only accepting because they are only seeing the watered down versions ofyour hunt?

Old 01-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I likely shouldn't have used my wife as an example.....but your scenario likely fits why I'd be able to show my harvest picture in my office over this one.

And any non-hunterwho would have witnessed the piebald I shot this year dying might consider starting up their own animal rights group. It was NOT pretty or audibly gratifying.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

On an educational stand point I would love to see more "real life" video. I think for myself being able to see the reactions of animals instead of a over excited hunter after the fact is an vital part of hunting. I am not for celebrating head shots and other, what to me I would consider unethical shots. I agree that there is way to much money that we need to tippy toe around PETA and such. They will fight us no matter what we do. The dove hunting issue is really more about what it symbolizes. We had the same discussion in WI. It was based on what the dove represents. Thats all I have to say about that.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

What about albino deer, Copper? Then piebalds??? Then....

I'm kidding,........kinda.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I likely shouldn't have used my wife as an example.....but your scenario likely fits why I'd be able to show my harvest picture in my office over this one.

Because of the blood? To me that indicates that the animal probaly died quickly. Much better than starving or getting hit by a car.

I wonder what people think when they see a deer splattered all over the road? Much worse than a well place shot imo.

Again I understand you being hesitant in showing this pic, but I think we need to be more open as to what we do.

It just looks to me like we are trying to hide something or that we are doing something wrong and that the only wayto get others to accept what we do is to clean it up and make it pretty.Why do we have to do that?

Old 01-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't think we HAVE to, Gus, and I don't mind showing this picture here, at all!!....lol

I just don't think it's NECCESSARY.

We disagree, it seems. I can live with that.

My mind is being molded in re: to hunting and how I look at it all the time, now. I didn't think I'd use the "kill" term, but I do with no reservations. If I'm in a board room talking hunting, though.....I likely wouldn't. It's not neccessary. Everybody knows the deer died if I say "took" or "harvested".....and my wife still thinks I'm a man when I use the terms...lol.

I respect everyone's passion. I really do.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think we HAVE to, Gus, and I don't mind showing this picture here, at all!!....lol

I just don't think it's NECCESSARY.

We disagree, it seems. I can live with that.

No problem in disagreeing....... Nice shot BTW.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 PM

I agree with GMMAT. There is nothing wrong with being tactful. I am not talking about pleasing PETA or the anti's because the only way to please them is to not kill (harvest) animals at all. I have grown up hunting, my parents, brothers and my kids hunt. I have seen the true reality of hunting. I love watching hunting videos. But,if I have a choice between looking at somewhat tidy/cleaned up deer kills and ones that look like they should have been featured on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I'll choose the more tasteful of the photos (same goes with videos). I can look at the point of entry and see that it was a good or bad shot. I love shooting deer, turkey, or whatever I hunt, but seeing them bleed and die is not what I get off on. I've killed close to 100 deer, so it's not that I am grossed out or offended by the harsh reality. I think it could also be a turnoff to someone considering hunting. They know that if they kill a deer, there will be blood. Let them get hooked on the chase, pursuit, the adrenaline rush, and then they will be hooked so deep that the blood and harsh reality that they encounter on their hunt won't push them away. Just my opinion.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

And any non-hunterwho would have witnessed the piebald I shot this year dying might consider starting up their own animal rights group. It was NOT pretty or audibly gratifying.
Beautiful. Nice shot!!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still think you ignore a segment of the hunting community that wants tasteful videos over not so tasteful ones. If a deer is writhing on the ground I think it shows respect to the deer to not show it, or celebrate that fact. A deer that dies that way should be sad to all of us, especially to those of us that take a deer's life. I think reveling in the blood and guts is a bit crass and childish. I'm not saying to be sterile. There's a big difference between saying "There's a good blood trail" and "Man, look at all this blood, that's what I'm talking about!" I don't want my deer pictures with the deer's tongue sticking out, not because I'm afraid of deer tongues but because it doesn't look nice. I don't take pictures of myself with bed-head and snot hanging out my nose, sowhy would I do the same with deer? I comb my hair (or at least tuck it up under a hat), smile, and clean up my deer so I have a good picture. You show hunters two pictures of fairly equal deer; one being a nicely arranged shot with a happy hunter and onethat's a"back-of-the-truck" picture, and people are going to be naturally more impressed with the nicely compositioned photo. It's human nature and it shows respect to the game we hunt and ourselves.

Quick Reply: Politically correct bowhunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.