Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Most influential person in archery today >

Most influential person in archery today

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Most influential person in archery today

Old 01-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Most influential person in archery today

In an effort to be more aware of what is going on in our sport, I've decided to start reading things written by the influential people involved in archery.

Who do you feel is the most influential person in archery today and why?

Now before you answer, I said today. Not in recent history, not in history at all. I don't mean Fred Bear, Howard Hill, or anyone else from that era.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned

Default RE: Most influential person in archery today

Me followed by you.[8D]I don't know; probably the engineer that invented the nicest shooting bow on the market right now, theHoyt Vectrix. I have to say that I am really impressed with Hunting Trophy Whitetails in the Real World by Don Higgens that I am readingright now. Awesome book.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

In archery technically speaking or hunting? Big difference there IMHO.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mathew McPherson IMO he change the way we look at bows!!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:00 PM

This may not be the answer your looking for but I think the most influential person(s) in archery is all of us and people on other forums. Everyone who is serious about archery (generally speaking) is pushing the development of our sport more than ever. The race to have the best bow equipment between manufacturers pushes companies to new limits. Trying new things and comparitive test is what influences our sport..not so much individual people. Again just my opinion.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

If we are talking about bow innovations in recent times (last 5 years), despite the soap opera surrounding all of it I would have to say that Strasheim and Strother have had a bigger impact than McPherson. I respect the heck out of bowtech and what they have done with a relatively new company in the last couple years. I wish we could see them cater more towards the target archery market (not where the $$$ is for them) but what they have brought for the masses in the hunting bow industry has had great impact compared to others in recent times.

In the last 20 years though Matt McPherson, Rex Darlington, Pete Shepley,Gail/Terry Martin, and Dave Barnsdale have brought a TON of cool stuff for bows to market.

For teaching tuning and/or proper shooting techniques I would have to say Larry Wise, George Ryals, Kisik Lee, Jim Despart, Lanny Bassham, Michael Braden, Bernie Pellerite, John Dudley, and there are so many more. These are all people that have added a LOT of knowledge to this sport and have had considerable contributions in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Banned

What about Ted Nugent. Before meeting Ted, Ross had no interest in Archery. He turned Ross onto archery and with hisnew interest and hobby he founded Ross Archery. You would not be the archer you are today and have your pic on their websiteif it wasn't for Ted.[8D]

By Brent Frazee
McClatchy Newspapers - August 9, 2006
(MCT)
KANSAS CITY, Mo.

Count Andy Ross as one of many who has been affected by Nugent's message.
Five years ago, he had never bow hunted. Then he joined some friends on a hunting trip to one of Nugent's ranches in Michigan.
The experience, Ross says, was life-changing.
"It was the first time I had hunted with a bow, even though I had been a waterfowl hunter for years, and I really had a good time," he says. "But just meeting and spending some time with Ted was what made it memorable.
"I was impressed with him from the start. He was the hardest-working guy in camp. He did everything from hanging the tree stands to washing the dishes.
"He didn't want the celebrity treatment."
Ross, who lives in Overland Park, and Nugent hit it off, and they soon began hunting together. And as they did, Ross' interest in bow hunting soared.
Today, Ross is president and CEO of Ross Archery in Grandview, Mo., one of the industry's top hunting-bow manufacturers.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

What about Ted Nugent. Before meeting Ted, Ross had no interest in Archery. He turned Ross onto archery and with hisnew interest and hobby he founded Ross Archery. You would not be the archer you are today and have your pic on their websiteif it wasn't for Ted.[8D]
Well actually it was his wife's family

Some how HCH I think my old mathews or 1 of my 2 hoyts would got the job done

Mathews has made Hoyt, Bowtech and others better. Too me that says a lot!!

Old 01-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Well actually it was his wife's family

Some how HCH I think my old mathews or 1 of my 2 hoyts would got the job done

Mathews has made Hoyt, Bowtech and others better. Too me that says a lot!!
I agree. I just had no idea that Nuge turned Ross onto archery and since he did, he is quite responsible for Ross Archery.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The younger gens under 20coming upthey are what the future will be.

Quick Reply: Most influential person in archery today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.