Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 greenhorn needs some info >

greenhorn needs some info

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

greenhorn needs some info

Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Default greenhorn needs some info

want to get back into bowhunting.have not picked up a bow in 25 years.anythoughts on what you thinkwould would be a good set up for me?had a old recurve before. i know its pretty hightec now.thanks for any help
Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 PM

Default RE: greenhorn needs some info

Honestly, this is impossible to answer. The sky is the limit. Just about anything you could want is out there somewhere. The best advice is to first of all, set a price limit and stick w/ it. After that, head to a pro shop and shoot as many as you can in the price range. The one you want will be obvious.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 PM

hope your ready to spend money with th suggestions you may get
just jokin', really I suppose the best advice I can give is get out there and test some out! Matthews, hoyt, bowtech, etc.....they're all great bows! If your used to shooting a recurve maybe stick with that. I think going lowtech could possibly be more rewarding. My two cents
[hr]

Old 01-17-2007, 04:33 PM

exactly what mobowhunter said.I will add since you have been out of it for a while do not worry about speed and focus on what "FEELS" best in your hands.Good Luck
Old 01-17-2007, 04:34 PM

Since it's been so long you should probably go to a pro shop to get fitted. They will measure your draw length, and then you can go from there. My suggestion is that you find a bow that feels comfortable to you. Go shoot some bows and pick which one feels comfortable to shoot. Another thing is I wouldn't get a new expensive bow just in case you hunt for a year and then decide that bowhunting isnt your thing. Then after you bowhunt for a season or two and you decide you wanna upgrade then you can go from there.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Honestly, this is impossible to answer. The sky is the limit. Just about anything you could want is out there somewhere. The best advice is to first of all, set a price limit and stick w/ it. After that, head to a pro shop and shoot as many as you can in the price range. The one you want will be obvious.
couldnt have said it better my self, except for the make sure you buy a hoyt part j/k possibilities are endless.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Like said before shoot as many bows as you can. Pick the one that feels the most comfortable.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:20 PM

Welcome back!
Sure, things have changed but only if you want them to. You can still hunt and kill deer with a recurve just like you did before or you can go to a compound and more modern equipment. It is all up to you.

Do you have a pro shop nearby?
Any friends that bow hunt?

You have come to one good place to get advise.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:21 AM

your answer said it all.will have to try and find a pro shop in my area,shoot some different bows.thanks
Old 01-18-2007, 03:25 AM

thanks

Quick Reply: greenhorn needs some info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.