Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dropaway or WB

Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dropaway or WB

I shoot a WB, I've never noticed the noise that alot of people talk about. I am strictly a hunter, though. If I shot 3d, I would probably take a hard look at a drop away. Several of my friends shoot drop aways, both serve the purpose.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The great debate wears on us always..

Rednecksteve, go ahead and try both the rests out. See which one suits your own needs better.. than buy it.

I have never tried a drop-away but know of them very well. They're a great rest. I love the fact that you can eliminate as much as 4" from your arrow so you could gain speed and shoot a flatter trajectory. Simply put.. that's awesome.

But I have shot the WB for the last 3 seasons now. At times I have even thought of switching to a drop-away. Honestly, AT TIMES, I did have a little inconsistency in arrow flight (not much but a little). Before this last season started I tried the Blazer vane. WOW.. what a differance that it has made. I now have not had but 1 arrow (and I shoot often) shoot off inconsistently because of the WB. (me on the other hand, that's another story).

I like to keep things simple when deer hunting-NO working parts on my bow. I hunt from both the ground and the tree. I don't even want to think about my arrow (and I don't) when I am out in the woods hunting. The WB is not for everyone. It's not a miracle rest, it won't help you shoot better. But on a properly tuned bow with the right arrow, Blazer vanes, and a hankering to kill deer.. the WB can be deadly.

If it were not for the WB, I don't believe I would have successfully made the stalk I did Nov. 11th this past year-PERIOD.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

I prefer a Trophy Taker drop away as my arrow leaves the bow with no fletching contact. I do 90% of my bowhunting from a treestand and arrows falling off of my rest is not something that happens to a bow just sitting in my bowholder waiting for a shot. If I was crawling around on my belly stalking game out on the plains out west I would go with a drop away that provides full containment like the QAD ultrarest. If you are going to shoot a WB, switch to Blazer vanes as they hold up to the WB much better than other vanes. I shoot Blazer vanes and just about everybody on all of the archery forums are shooting Blazers too. They simply are a great, durable vane.

Rick, quick question. If we are not anchored at full draw exactly the same each time we shoot, regardless of the rest, the arrow is leaving the bow inconsistantly due to the cam cycle not being positioned the same; correct???
Old 01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rednecksteve

Right now i have a drop away and i was wandering if it is worth the $35-$50 to go get a whiskerbiscut

what do you think
You shooting Aluminums or Carbons?? I sell ya a brand new unopened WB for aluminum arrows for $25 and ship free (in US).. Can provide pics PM if interested.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a WB, I've never noticed the noise that alot of people talk about.
BBM.....it's all in what arrows you shoot. I found out after I got rid of my WB....that the Radial X-Weaves were the loudest arrows (when drug across the bristles). I know that others aren't as noisy....and some are silent (My son's friend had some that were 'coated' and absolutely silent).

Rick....you hurt my head. I don't think about any of that stuff when I shoot.....yet I hit what I'm looking at a lot of the time. I don't know what a valley is.....other than a space between two mountains.

Moving parts???? Some people forget that the WB is aptly succeptible to being knocked out of place (just like a sight could be). It's not fool-proof.

It's a good rest. It's not for me.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a WB on my bow now. I like that it holds the arrow, but it is starting to mess up my fletchings. I was looking ata Quicktune 360 at Cabelas on Sunday. Has anybody used one?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nohillbilly

I have a WB on my bow now. I like that it holds the arrow, but it is starting to mess up my fletchings. I was looking ata Quicktune 360 at Cabelas on Sunday. Has anybody used one?
nohillbilly ... I will be when my bow comes in. My good friend uses one and he loves it. Neither of us seem to be able to find a problem with it. 0 vane contact, full capture ..... seems like a perfect combination of the 2 rests
Old 01-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love you drop away guys.. really...[8D]
Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 AM

I use an apa ultimate here. Full arrow continment as well as zero fletching contact. Its a great simple rest and is made by the shop i deal with so i shop local. Once my buds at home saw my rest they all switched over and have been laughing ever since. I personally never liked the concept of the wisker biscuit. Yes it may be great but i do not like the fact of anything touching the fletching. It's a confidence thing and i am 100% confident with the apa so thats whati take to the field with.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey....almost forgot....

If you WB guys are dead-set on these things......FUSE is making one, now.

Just an FYI

Quick Reply: dropaway or WB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.