Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is the best MRE for hunting backcountry????????? >

what is the best MRE for hunting backcountry?????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the best MRE for hunting backcountry?????????

Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: what is the best MRE for hunting backcountry?????????

ORIGINAL: davidmil

You haven't lived until you've lived on Korean War C rations for a 36 days in the Vietnam jungle. We'd have given up a lot for ANY LRRP ration. I got one word for you... Tabasco. It makes all things better. Does the military have C Rations anymore?????
Funny you should mention that......most of the MRE's still come with a little glass bottle of Tabasco.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Washington said exactly what I eat. MREs are too heavy to pack for long hikes in the back country. Freeze dried meals are a ton lighter. I also pack oatmeal packets with me and heat it up on a burner that weighs in at 800 grams. I try to stay away from anyhting with water weight. I don't want to pack in something that is already there. I go for a minimum of one week at a time and would drop over carrying a weeks worth of MRE's. The mountain house meals are real tasty. For lunches I make bacon and peanut butter sandwiches and smash them down in a plastic baggy. Doesn't sound like good eats, but it will give you everything you need for the day. I have done extensive research on backcountry hunting and can live for a week on a 45 lb pack. I ended up splurging and got a sherpa bag that weighs 2.1 pounds and is good to 20 below. I put that in a light weight bivy bag and sleep like a champ. If you need a bed roll for comfort, you will only need one as long as your torso. There is alot of ways to cut the poundage down and still be very comfortable. If you do choose MREs, open the packages and throw away anything that you don't need or like. No need in carrying something that you are not going to use. What will you be hunting as game care needs to be considered when the time comes. If I can help with any other suggestions let me know. I have been on many backcountry hunts and found out some of the dos and donts the hard way!!!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

No David, their a thing of the past, MRE is much better than the old C rat's on avrage, you just don't want to eat the BBQ ones more than 2 days in a row or your hind quarters will start smelling like one!!! The last C rats I had were dated post WWII, pre Korea. and I was thinking, I hope I don't die from these things!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Let me respell that for ya.[8D] It makes all things taste better when theytaste crappy to begin with. tabasco sauce
Old 01-15-2007, 10:18 PM

I am currently in the Military and I don't mind the Military Spec MRE's. I have tried others, but were not very good. I try to collect them on Drill Weekends just for hunting. The Vegetarian probably will give you the most carbohydrates. They have more candy and sweets in them. I would try to get any of them that have turkey in them. I would try to stay away from jumbalaya, it tast's like sh!t. The hot dogs are no good either, plus they don't give you the satisfying feeling of being full. Just get what you think will taste good. Make sure to heat them up, they are no good if they aren't heated up. That's my 2 cents

Dan
Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I was serious when I said Korean War C Rats. That's what we had in Vietnam. We also had most of our mortar ammo was crated during or right after the Korean War.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Site Bouncer

I was serious when I said Korean War C Rats. That's what we had in Vietnam. We also had most of our mortar ammo was crated during or right after the Korean War.
My dad served 3 years as a combat infantry rifleman in Korea and he said that everything they had was1945 or older,his M1 Garand, bayo (long style), grenades,food,you name it. He laughs when he hears or reads about the new warfaretechonlogy and upgrades they had in Korea. He says "What upgrades?? we still had Shermans!!!

He still to this day says "I think they kept all that new stuff well behind the front lines so it would look good on the news reels"

They used to tie a string around their Zippo's and drop them in the fuel tanks of any vehicle they could to keep them full.

Healso says that the worst thing he ever heard during the war was "fix bayonets". That wasthe reply totheir request for additional ammo.

He was a Staff Sergeantwith the 38th Infantry Regiment of the 2ndInfantry Division. He didn't start the war that rank butyou rise pretty fast in rank during a war.Two Purple Hearts,two Bronze Stars, one Silver Star.....I'm very proud of my dad.

BTW, he loves the MRE's, says he wishes he had them back then.....I bet.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Let me respell that for ya.[8D] It makes all things taste better when they taste crappy to begin with. tabasco sauce
McIlhenny's Tabasco sauce is probably the single greatest condiment ever created, they even age it for several years in wooden casks before bottling just like fine wine. I'm especially partial to their garlic flavor.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had these Cheese tortellini ones a while back thatwere awesome. I've never had a chicken MRE that I didn't like. Beef stew is good too. Who am I kidding? I'd eat anything.

The MRE's themselves (in that big square packet)take up too much room, and I won't eat the cookies/breads/desserts anyway, so I just pick out the good stuff and take that.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call me crazy but i happen to like the Chicken Enchilada's... not sure if thats the right name, but its something like that...

Ive found that most MRE's taste ok, and some taste great, especially when you've been in the mountains all day and havnt eaten until you pitch camp... Make sure you have plenty of water, or a purifier... I almost got myself dehydrated to the point of passing out, it happend real quick at 13000+ ft, and it sneaks up on ya.

Quick Reply: what is the best MRE for hunting backcountry?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.