Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Could they find you?? >

Could they find you??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Could they find you??

Old 01-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Banned

Default Could they find you??

As many of you know, I broke my ankle while on my way to my stand tuesday a.m. I was able to call my wife as she hunts with me andshe knows the timbers we hunt. My brother-in-law and friend were impressed that she knew exactly where I was and she led them to me. All I told her was that I wasnear thefar flat near the DNR guys' land border and I had also told her that I was going to this flat when I had left the house.I was in some very rugged country, steep timber ravines,a 1/4 mile from my truck, and out of yelling distance for anybody to hear me. We as hunters have always been told to let our loved ones know where we are. Made me realize that if you are a hunter that the nonhunter spouse should be shown the timbers you hunt and where your stand locations are and howeverelse you describe a spot. COULD you describe to your loved ones where you were if hurt and could they find you if you didn't have a phone or if the phone had gotbroken during your injury???

Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 AM

Default RE: Could they find you??

Thats not a bad idea
but hope you doing good
how long u going to be out
Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Site Buck Guru

Good post. Someone always knows where I am when I hunt. I also carry my cell phone with me.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned

6-8 weeks[:@]
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i have hunted for years and i let everyone know where i am going to be that is in my camp. I never hunt allow either. I do this becuase the first year i started to hunt my dad fell out of his stand getting in his climber. Well it was the afternoon and he was supost to meet me at 2:00 and go eat lunch at camp. he did not come. Well i knew where his stand was so i went to it. i found him leaning up at the bottom of the tree, he was not really hurt , but it was hard for him to stand. So i help him back to the truck.So that is y i do it.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I print my own maps so if I am hunting alone I usually leave a copy of the map I am using with the area I am hunting in circled. I also take one of the walkie talkies and leave one with the map. Also have a cell phone. I let her know when I should be home. I will call if I am staying longer.

If I am hunting with buddies we have the walkietalkies and cellphones and are generally communicating throughout the day.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always hunt with my dad and brothers and we always know where each other is. You're a lucky man HCH it could've been a lot worse. If you don't mind me asking were you walking inbefore daylight?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:55 AM

Someone always knows all my stand locations. I also have a master map which is in a file in my cabin should anyone get confused. When I go out to the stand, I tell either my father or best friend/whoever I am going to be hunting with where I am going to be.
Scares the death out of me though, laying there paralyzed trying to figure out when someone is going to show up.
Glad you are okHCH!!! Abroken ankle makes it difficult to shift or brake on the Harley eh?[&:]
Old 01-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

We name all of our treestands and tell each other wich one we will be in and I know where my hubby is and vise-versa. We make maps of each area and If I dont know the area well I have that to rely on. Cel phones dont always work so always have an alternate plan. I always carry a glo-stick with me. Flashlights can go dead but that glo-stick will last all night. I also have a mirror in my pocket and a whistle so hopefully I am covered.
shooting an arrow in the air doesnt seem to work well!
We are planning on investing in walkie talkies soon since we have been hunting alot for public ground.

Don, Hope your ankle heals soon-sorry to hear about that.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: gutshot

I always hunt with my dad and brothers and we always know where each other is. You're a lucky man HCH it could've been a lot worse. If you don't mind me asking were you walking inbefore daylight?
Yea, it was before daylight but I have a l.e.d headlamp. This global warming was the problem. It is muddy underneath the leaves and as I was climbing a ravine in rubber boots, my foot went out from under me and ended up under me as I fell.

Quick Reply: Could they find you??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.