Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Homemade lighted nocks >

Homemade lighted nocks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade lighted nocks

Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Homemade lighted nocks

Honest question, here.......

If I'm shooting 125g broadheads in 300g arrows with balzer vanes and 6in. wraps......and my bow will IBO at 326fps.......how much difference does a Lumenok and a standard nock make?

Should I be concerned in that difference?

I'm not, now....is why I ask.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

To tell you the truth, I don't know how much homemade lighted nocks weigh compared to a regular nock. I'm also not familiar with setups like yours anymore.

But I am always a little leary about adding additional weight to the back end of my arrow more so then the front. Especially when shooting longer ranges (which is were the lighted nock would come in handy for me - target of course).

It's not a good example, because it's at the front and you probably wouldn't be shooting very far with it, but would you considershooting 100 grain tips on all your arrows and just shoot a 125 grain for your one hunting arrow?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

No, I wouldn't, Bob......but I ALSO don't think the front vs. rear (as you said) is a fair comparison.....NOR is a 25g weight difference (we both know it's FAR less than that).

So.....I'm still wondering.....

I CAN tell you that after 30-40 shots from my other hunting arrows vs. the lumenok equipped arrow......I find NO noticeable difference in arrow flight. That tells me what NOT to be worried about.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

NOR is a 25g weight difference (we both know it's FAR less than that).
No actually WE don't know that. I have not even touched one or seen the specs on the home made lighted nocks. I do know that there is a battery with it, I assume that has to weigh something.

I CAN tell you that after 30-40 shots from my other hunting arrows vs. the lumenok equipped arrow......I find NO noticeable difference in arrow flight. That tells me what NOT to be worried about.
That may depend on how far you are shooting though. Like I said, in your hunting distances, there may not be a difference.

In any event, you seem to have your mind made up already. Happy trails.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry Bob....I assumed you'd seen a Lumenok. I'm no scale.....but the Lumenok isn't much longer than my typical nocks.....nor does it "seem" much heavier.

My mind isn't made up. If someone could give me some definitive information....I might think otherwise (than the way I currently do). the scenario you gave isn't fair, though.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

FWIW Just found this on the added weight of the lumenock(not the homemade lighted nock but it would be interesting to know what they weigh), looks like they add 22 grains to the normal nock, 30 grains total.

http://www.archerysportsusa.com/store/index.cfm/c2/i6747

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/index.html?stocknumber=ARB2828806
Old 01-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Are you sure you read that, correctly? It looks like the TOTAL weight for the first one you link to is 22g. The second appears to be 30g (and this might be explained by the fact that they make different sizes for different arrow sizes). Wouldn't you THEN have to subtract (presumeably) the wieght of the standard arrow nock to see what (if any) the difference is?

Am I looking at this, wrong?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 PM

Actually they would cost about $3.50 a piece, assuming you can buy the LED lights locally. I didn't think there was much difference in weight between the lighted nock and the lock nock I used to use. I will be sighting in with the lighted nocks next season and shooting the with broadheads to make sure the fly true.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will be sighting in with the lighted nocks next season and shooting the with broadheads to make sure the fly true.
That is a good idea. I think in the link that I provided they said that the bobber lights cost between $2.50 and $3 each and can be found at Gander, Cabelas, Bass Pro etc..

If you (or anyone) decides to build them let us know how they work.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Site Buck Guru

I think that the 22 gr difference would roughly be 5 fps.

Quick Reply: Homemade lighted nocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.