Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mike Rex

Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Mike Rex

So what is the deal with this guy?? What was the debate over his buck about??

The information I have on him is second hand through a friend of mine who lives in Athens County Ohio. (Man is he crying tonight I bet).......He doesn't have very many good things to say about him and he is about as mild mannered as it gets.

From my understanding of him (Rex) he has some pretty good resources and he is going around leasing up everything he can get his hands on even if he doesn't hunt there.........just so no one else can. This has caused not only limited hunting options for many people but also driven up the price of land itself in that area.

Is this accurate and/or is there more to his story and something about his buck from the other year??.........or is he just some guy that caught a bunch of heat for shooting a big deer?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default RE: Mike Rex

From what I understand, he leases a bunch of land.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a clue as to who Mike Rex is, but it reminds me of a guy around here who is leasing land so he can sublease it to hunters or sell hunts. Sounds like this Rex fellow is trying to keep the land free of hunters so the bucks will get even bigger. What a way to grow a record buck.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:17 PM

I saw the article about his buck in north american whitetail and a few issues later it said he was an outfitter.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is this accurate and/or is there more to his story and something about his buck from the other year??.........or is he just some guy that caught a bunch of heat for shooting a big deer?
Bingo
Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Bingo
Which part? From what I have heard and read, its the latter of the two.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

While the story very well may be true (I don't know), I would caution against spreading ill will against a fellow hunter like Mike. Everything I've ever read about the gentleman points to him being first class, and without knowing for sure, I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Don Higgins devotes a whole chapter to the jealousy that arises in the hunting community when someone takes a big deer in his recent book... At this point, I'd have to wonder if that's not what's happening here.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just don't understand why people have to start jumping to conclusions! Is it people being jealous, or are they just being stubborn? Mike shot a tremendous deer, one we all wish we could have shot! Well we didn't shoot it Mike did and congrats on a georgous deer! Even if he is a outfitter does that mean that he isn't allowed to hunt? If you had the money and resources to lease all the land you could and manage it the way you wanted then you would, simple as that!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

While the story very well may be true (I don't know), I would caution against spreading ill will against a fellow hunter like Mike.
I'm not trying to "spread" anything............this was told to me by a friend in that area. I have read in a few threads now about the commotion his deer caused and was wondering if there was more to the story then I knew of. Is there some kind of controversy over his buck??.........or is it just petty garbage?

I don't know what you mean by "ill will".

Everything I've ever read about the gentleman points to him being first class, and without knowing for sure, I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
I give my friend the benefit of the doubt...........especially since he lives there and his information is first hand.

Don Higgins devotes a whole chapter to the jealousy that arises in the hunting community when someone takes a big deer in his recent book...

I want to read that book this winter........sounds interesting.

At this point, I'd have to wonder if that's not what's happening here.
I don't understand this statement..........who is jealous here?? No one has said anything negative about his deer. I asked if he was gobbling up land because that is what I was told he is doing out there............as far as the deer goes I don't know of any controversy but I see his name lumped in with others of infamy so I thought I would ask. So far no one has said it was anything other then a big deer. I think you are jumping to conclusions of your own.........while cautioning others not to do the same.

I see no "ill will" or "jealousy" by anyone in this thread.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: SRBowman

I just don't understand why people have to start jumping to conclusions!

What "conclusions" were jumped to in this thread??

Mike shot a tremendous deer, one we all wish we could have shot! Well we didn't shoot it Mike did and congrats on a georgous deer!
I haven't read anything negative about his deer in this thread.

If you had the money and resources to lease all the land you could and manage it the way you wanted then you would, simple as that!
What a weird statement from someone who just said others shouldn't jump to conclusions.

All I asked was if that is what he is doing...........do you know?

Quick Reply: Mike Rex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.