Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you guys think? >

What do you guys think?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Default What do you guys think?

Since this is my second season hunting in my home state with a bow I'm wondering if I'm cray. Let me start with Iread alot of bowhunting magazines, forums and articles/columns. One thingthat stands out is the behavior of deer and what they tollerate. I have read that deer do not get use to things like people, there smells or the noise we make like cars or atv's. I have read "don't park your car or atv near your stand" and don'tmake your way in and out of the woods the same way every time. I hunt in an area where there can be a lot of human activity at times depending on weather. There are a few homes on the outskirts of the woods and can be dirt bike and atv activity all day long or all weekend long. I took two deer this year andthe firstwas a mature bucktwo weeks before Thanksgivingthat I hadbeen face to face twotimes earlier at thirty yardson two seperate hunts but was unprepared for the shot both times.When I did get him it was the third time , a 17 yard shot from my standand he wasonly 30 yadrs from my four wheeler. The second deer I took was a doe on Christmas day while four wheeling with my wife and father inlaw while crossing thru a swamp. Two does jumped up and watched as I pulled my rangefinder, climbed up on the front of my four wheeler and set up for the shot at 30 yards. They didn't move! They just stood there.

I can't be the only guy who has been in these situations can I? Are the articles full of ****? Is every location different? Am I just Lucky? I'm just wondering what you guys think about your hunts compared to what you read.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 11:53 AM

Default RE: What do you guys think?

ORIGINAL: Cosmo99

The second deer I took was a doe on Christmas day while four wheeling with my wife and father inlaw while crossing thru a swamp. Two does jumped up and watched as I pulled my rangefinder, climbed up on the front of my four wheeler and set up for the shot at 30 yards. They didn't move! They just stood there.

I can't be the only guy who has been in these situations can I? Are the articles full of ****? Is every location different? Am I just Lucky? I'm just wondering what you guys think about your hunts compared to what you read.

Thanks

You were just lucky.[8D]

Is it legal to stand on the ATV and shoot in IL?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 PM

It's only illegal to chase them with a four wheeler. I've been thinking I'm lucky as well.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think you were that awful lucky. I hunt on a military base. The only time we get to hunt is when the soldiers are not out training in areas. This means these deer have quite alot of human encounters. My wife is a Drill Instructor and tells me all the time where she sees deer when they are in the field for training. I had an encounter similar to yours except I didn't have my bow with me. My son and I were out offroading on the base. I had to stop to take a leak. I open the door, 4 does stand up only 10 to 12 yards away. They were bedded down. They stood there the entire time I was taking a leak and just walked away when I moved to get back in the truck. I do think deer understand when they are being hunted though....for some strange reason I think I would have had a bow in my hand they would have bolted...LMAO!!!

They funny thing is that the BEST hunting areas on the base is an area behindthe rifle ranges and in a aircraft bombing area. Which means alot of stray rounds go through the woods, but not alot of people because it is never open due to the soldiers constantly using the ranges. I have always wondered how many deer get killed every year by stray rounds from the ranges and the bombs from the A-10s.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:23 PM

The same thing happened to me a the Friday before Christmas when I chased up a couple ofdoes.About thirty minutes later I saw them when I went thru the swamp on my four wheeler but I didn't have my bow. I called my wife and had her bring me my bow and went back out in all it was an hour later and they were in the same spot and I missed at at thirty yards because I rushed the shot. So on Christmas day I at least took my time and got one.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

sometimes when you are in an area with lots and lots of human activity the deer tend to get somewhat use to it...thus seeing another human 30 yards away is nothing new to them..they have no idea you are dangerous especially if many other people see the deer and don't harm them..then they have no real reason to run from you....but to have them stand there that long and shot off the atv i would say is lucky..
Old 01-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MO Archer

....My wife is a Drill Instructor and tells me all the time ....
I'm sorry man, I just thought that this was funny as heck![:-]
Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cosmo99

It's only illegal to chase them with a four wheeler. I've been thinking I'm lucky as well.
Straight from the IDNR website. Its always been illegal to hunt or shoot off an ATV in IL.

Hunting From Vehicles and Boats
It is unlawful to
hunt, disturb, harass or
take any protected bird or mammal by the
use or aid of an automobile, vehicle
or conveyance, any type of watercraft,
aircraft or any machine propelled by
mechanical power.
EXCEPT paraplegics or
other disabled persons, with a permit from
the Office of Law Enforcement, may hunt
from any stationary motor vehicle or stationary
motor-driven land conveyance
(see page 27 under Disabled Outdoor
Opportunities - Special Permits).
Old 01-04-2007, 02:42 PM

oops. I guess I missed that.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Actually I wouldn't consider that to be very lucky. I live in the same type area and have two dogs outside. I was in my driveway talking on the phone, besideone dog AND smoking about 6pm one night and the dog suddenly popped up to attention. About two seconds later a large buck walked out of our other driveway about 25ft from me, turned and walked straight up the dirt road without looking in my direction or hurrying once. I didn't hunt at the time, but if I did I'd surely have had this one to clean. Not excitement, no rush, not even a look toward me. I could have walked up and slap it on the tail if I wanted a kick in the head.

I think they become accustomed to their surroundings and don't bother to react when nothing throws up a flag. Oddly enough, I've seen many deer walking or standing around within gun range when I was in the yard doing something and not prepared, but use all the cover scents and everything else and I only saw two deer in the past month. I'm considering walking out to my stand making noise wearing street clothes and smoking like a chimney, maybe I'll see something.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.