Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mature Spikes?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mature Spikes?

I just had a conversation with my Brother about this? Since there is so much knowledge on this sight, I am interested to know what you guys think.

I understand that most spikes are 1.5 yr old's, but are ALL spikes immature deer? Can poor genetics and poor nutrition create a 4-6 year old spike?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Mature Spikes?

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

I understand that most spikes are 1.5 yr old's, but are ALL spikes immature deer? No Can poor genetics and poor nutrition create a 4-6 year old spike? Yes

Although I've never seen a spike older than 1 1/2, I've heard of it occuring.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the odds of a mature spike would be very, very small. Yes I'm sure its occured, but to NOWHERE the extent that some would have you believe.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of theories out there.Genetics-stress-diet. any one of them or all of them may be true.
Not being one to rule out anything,I look back 20 or more years in my area.To when 200# spikes were common.6 pointers were a trophy. Now 8 pointers are the norm and 6 pointers walk.(sometimes)
I dont think stress has changed,or the food either.But DDT was used up untill the mid or late 70s in every puddle found to control mosquitos.The main consern was thin shells on bird eggs.Now we dont use ddt and the hawks are back with many other birds of prey.And the racks on deer are bigger.Is there a connection? Mabe.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Interesting. So, if in most cases spikes are 1.5 year olds, does it also stand to reason that most 1.5 year olds are spikes?.. or do they often develope a more substantial rack?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lat year I had a spike roaming around that was all main beam without any points. He was a big deer my guess would be 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. I would blame that and genetics.Most of my 1 1/2 year old deer are forks and six pointers. There are a couple of spikes I think it depends on when they are born.Early drops are bigger and later drops are smaller(just my opinion not fact).
Old 01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was born and raised in WV until I moved to IL in 2003. I have hunted since I was about 6 years old and I am now 28. While hunting in WV the majority of the bucks I seen were spikes that Iestimated to be1.5 years old. It seemed that 75-80% of bucks that I seen were spikes. Now on the other hand I have lived and hunted in IL for 3 seasons now and I have never seen a spike. No kidding, I have beenwaiting and waiting to see a spike outhere and it just hasn'thappened yet. Its kindacrazy really. It seems as though the 1.5 year olds around here grow larger than just spikes. Most 1.5 year old bucks I see now are fork horns or small basket racks. Through these experiences and sightings that I have had I think that it depends mostly on 2 things. 1. being food sources and 2. genetics. With food sources playing the bigger role in antler development atsuch anearly age.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never seen one older than 1 1/2
Dan
Old 01-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's interesting to me because I have seen spikes that were killed with the characteristics of a mature deer. 170+#'s, long nose, grey face, and a swayed (sp) back. The deer will typicall have 10-14 inch spikes with a little curve and some mass.....for a spike. Some are even palmated???

I also hunt in WV............
Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 PM

Last spring shed hunting we found 2 sheds that had 18" main beems and a very small point towards the end, almost spikes. They were pretty heavy and had larger bases. I can gurantee you that they were from a buck that was older than 1.5.

Also, 3 years ago, my brother told me about seeing a 3pt that had long main beams and a small point on one side. He said it was a big bodied deer and he believed it was at least 4.5 yrs old.

It does happen, but it is pretty rare.

Quick Reply: Mature Spikes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.