Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why do you guys use feeders? >

Why do you guys use feeders?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you guys use feeders?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Why do you guys use feeders?

Just a simple question, yeah I'm against it but maybe I don't understand the full picture. what good comes from them? How do they pertain to the bowhunter?

[hr]
Old 01-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why do you guys use feeders?

I do not use a feeder , I put one up for one fall and i hunted it for maybe one morning . I could not sit withoutthinking about where I should be hunting. You can get lots of pictures on camera .

Old 01-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Baiting is legal in my state. Here's my story with feeders:

When I first got into hunting.....I bought a feeder. That's what people do, here (a lot of them). I set it up....and I set my stand fairly close to it (30 yds.). I hunted there.....NEVER taking a deer. I kept the feeder up....and stocked.....because I wanted the deer to have a reason to come onto my relatively small piece of property. I set stands, this year.....and I set one for my son to get in that's 45 yds. from the feeder. He never sat in it. I did, once.

I have found that the deer are MUCH more calm and less "on-alert".....when they're nowhere near the feeder. I have my feeder still in place.....still stocked......and still feeding.....to supplement theirWinter feed.....and to help me with trail cam inventory photos. I shot 5 whitetails with my bow, this season......andthe closest one to thisfeeder was 150 yds.The others were: 175 yds; 1/4 mi.; and 1/2 mile from it. It's simply used as a tool to help me inventory the herd, now. I may replace it with a food plot, this year. I haven't decided.

When Rob/PA was down here hunting.....we never got within 1/4 mile of it.....and never needed/wanted to. We saw far more deer where we were.....on the other side of my hunting property from the feeder.....than we would have near there.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use one like Jeff uses his. Pretty much it's setup during off season to help me take inventory of what's left after season. I am headed back down to PA on 1/12 for a hunt on 1/13 which is the last day of late season. I will setup the feeder again with my camera so we can see what made it through the orange army. I also will setup a few antler traps as well to hopefully catch some of those sheds......
Old 01-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Bait, I'm really partial to 50 acre corn patches.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two "baiting" sites that are filled year round. I don't hunt them, but use them to keep the does around. Without feeding them year round, the does will wonder off from time to time, and since doing it year round we have more does that make our farms their permanent homes.The permanent does then bring in wondering horny (now that's punny) bucks come the rut.

Since putting out trail cameras, we now also know that there are a few resident bucks hanging around our food plots as well. Feeding the deer just helps keep them around.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's legal where I hunt and I use a feeder to keep deer on my small lease.....especially does.

A feeder works better (keeping deer in the area) when the acorn crop is down. When there is little to no food for the deer they will destroy the corn. If there are acorns lying on the ground, they will walk past the corn to get to the nuts.

I have and continue to hunt over the feeder andI amable to view a lot of deer behavior.You can learn a lot from watching deer for hours at a time.

I am also going to add a food plot this year for the same reasons listed above.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:32 AM

i mack my own feeders out of PVC pipes
i take one about 2 feet long and atach it to a curved on
thin take a nother pipe about a foot long and cork the end
it should be in the shape of an L
thin cut a hole on the top of the bottom pipe so it makes a tralph
thin fill the tube up with corn and atach to a tree
Old 01-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont use a feeder. I just have a bunch of fields that are planted with biologic. It is the best stuff ever.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a feeder to attract the deer to the property I hunt and to try to keep them there more frequently. I use them to keep inventory of the herd on the property, to supplement their natural food sources (which on my property is very limited), and mostly to keep the does around which I hope will draw in the bucks. This is the first year that I have really used a feeder. I did hunt close to it early in the season a couple of times to see what the deer were doing and how they acted around the feeder. I really enjoyed sitting and watching the deer activity and I got to see alot of deer each time I sat there. I never shot a deer over the bait site, but I did shoot a doe in the early part of the season that was heading to the feeder. I shot her approx. 200 yards from it. I've been feeding corn and I mix in some high protien sweet feed with it. On my place, the deer absolutely eat it up. I set it to throw twice a day and most any day you can go out around noon and there won't be any feed on the ground.

Quick Reply: Why do you guys use feeders?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.