Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon >

Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon

Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

Oh and in regards to some folks calling that sound an aggressive tending grunt....I totally disagree. I agree with Rybo...it sounds like they want to kill something, and right now. NO WAY that is a tending grunt or anything close. Like I said it was a long time ago and I can hear that sound still today. I had the hardest time explaining it to my friends back then....they just looked at me funny. LOL
Did it sound the same as the DVD example?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and in regards to some folks calling that sound an aggressive tending grunt....I totally disagree. I agree with Rybo...it sounds like they want to kill something, and right now. NO WAY that is a tending grunt or anything close. Like I said it was a long time ago and I can hear that sound still today. I had the hardest time explaining it to my friends back then....they just looked at me funny. LOL
WV, I feel exactly the same way about the "roar" that i heard. If i hadnt watched the DVD it wouldve scared the crap out of me.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't seen the DVD, but I did see the Drury's show on TV. If that is the same, then that is the sound. It was VERY loud and kinda eerie. He did it right at dark, standing still with no other deer around at all. I would have loved to have gotten a shot at him...but he was at 50yds. The weird thing is, he was looking right at me...like he knew I was there and he was directing it at me. Definitely an experience I won't ever forget.

Now that I think about it...it was probably around '96 or '97. Haven't heard it since.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ok thx learned something new tonight, I am listing to it right now. Sounds like a deer mad grunt to me.

http://www.obsessionarchery.com/buck-growl-mad-calls-p-830.html

Here is the link, download a WMV and listen
Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 PM

LIKE I SAID IN MY EARLIER POST. I'M PRETTY SURE MY FIRST BOW KILL WAS COMING TO THIS GROWL CALL. HE WASN'T A MONSTER BUT HE WAS THE DOMINATE BUCK IN THIS AREA. I LISTENED TO THIS DEERIN THE BRUSHFOR ABOUT 45 MIN BEFORE I DECIDED TO USE THIS CALL, WHEN I GROWLED HE SHOWED HIMSELF ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. WHO CARES IF IT WORKS OR NOT? IM SURE THERE WILL BE TIMES THAT NO CALL WILL WORK, NONE ARE 100%. I'VE SEEN BIG TOMS BE CALLED IN WITH A SQUEEK LIKE THEY WERE ON A STRING, OTHER'S, WANT COME IN THE BEST CALLER IN THE WORLD.BEING AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME IS 100% EFFECTIVE (AT LEAST FOR SEEING DEER) YOU HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO SHOOT TO KILL THEM.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

WV, I feel exactly the same way about the "roar" that i heard. If i hadnt watched the DVD it wouldve scared the crap out of me.
If I hadn't been in a stand 20ft up and seen him do it....it would definitely have scared the crap out of me too. I would have had no idea what that was.
Of course I was in WV...so I didn't have dozens of monster bucks come running in either when he did it LOL [8D]I'll bet all the dinks tucked their tails though....I know I would have if I was a dink.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

WV how old was the deer you heard it from?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germ, the soundI heard was exactly like the "growls/roars" between 4:40-5:05 of the video link you posted.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

rybo will can elaborate how misinformed you are.

Rob..........do you believe Rybo heard his buck roar?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

WV how old was the deer you heard it from?
I would say he was at least 4.5. Big rack, big body...definitely mature. One of the better deer I've ever seen in my deer woods in 20yrs. The weirdest thing about it was he stood in one spot for like 5 minutes staring right at me before he did it. Then stood there about 10 minutes afterwards until I couldn't see him anymore because of the dark. It was freaky. I stayed in my stand 1/2 hr after dark until I was sure he was gone.

I can't listen to the sound on the DVD because the pc I'm on right now has no sound.

Quick Reply: Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.