HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Would you take this shot??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/173314-would-you-take-shot.html)

GMMAT 01-03-2007 02:51 PM

Would you take this shot???

Just asking.....

Public service announcement: This picture is NOT OF GMMAT!.....(too many assumed this)..okay read on.

Washington Hunter 01-03-2007 02:52 PM

RE: Would you take this shot???

No.

Campo 01-03-2007 02:56 PM

Talk about a Douchebag, lucky he got her.
I bet you those guts smelled great when he dressed her out.

salty 01-03-2007 02:57 PM

No. why would someone take a shot like that? I smell troll since deer usually do not bleed from the nose after an ass shot

Washington Hunter 01-03-2007 03:00 PM

The femoral artery runsthrough the middle of the hip and down the leg. If hit, the deer will quickly bleed to death. It's a lethal shot, but a low percentage one.

hatchet jack 01-03-2007 03:06 PM

NO WAY!

Hatchet Jack

GMMAT 01-03-2007 03:08 PM

I'll assure you this is no troll. I post here, every day. I'll tell you more about this as the answers come in.

This is also NOT me.

BobCo19-65 01-03-2007 03:12 PM

Didn't we have this same discussion a few weeks back?

5 pages worth

Germ 01-03-2007 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: salty

No. why would someone take a shot like that? I smell troll since deer usually do not bleed from the nose after an ass shot
Well salty you have to look at where the Broadhead is at. I shot a doe in the same spot(she moved or I missed by a lot) last year. She took two hops and died 3 yds from where I shot her. Lets take a look

I was tad forward of him, he looks to be a big guy, I would say 28 or 29 '' arrow. So why the shot does not look perfect it will get the job done everytime(IMO). I would not take it, but I will also not judge others on what they shoot or what shot they take!

The blood out her noise is her lungs being hit. The broad is stuck right in the center I bet!

GMMAT 01-03-2007 03:15 PM

If I remember correctly Bob.....the shot "many" were discussing wasn't THIS one, was it???? I never saw a photo....but ASSUMED when the others were discussing a ham shot.....they would at LEAST think enough to shoot the broad side of it.

Prairie Wolf 01-03-2007 03:15 PM

Looks like a second shot. It didn't cause the blood around the mouth. I'd guess a first arrow did that.

So, yes

GMMAT 01-03-2007 03:17 PM

The claim by the shooter was it was the ONLY shot.

GMMAT 01-03-2007 03:19 PM

Germ:

Can you do that and show us where your hands are in the photo of you spooning the deer?

I'm just askin......

hatchet jack 01-03-2007 03:21 PM

Spoil to much sweet meat. That is another reason if you ask me. Most of the time someone shoots a doe it's for the meat.

Hatchet Jack

Germ 01-03-2007 03:24 PM

I got your spoon, come to KY and find out the hardway NC boy[8D]
You will not be able to ride your Harley for a month after I get done!!!;)

Now back to topic!!:)

furgitter 01-03-2007 03:26 PM

Thats not where i try to shoot em. You got lucky punk.

salty 01-03-2007 03:27 PM

guess if you are one of those "pod" hunting states it would be ok but why make a deer suffer on such an unethical shot? I bet Tred Barta shot that deer?? where is he? did he sign up for this forum?

Germ 01-03-2007 03:31 PM

GMMAT do you know how far the deer ran?

Mine suffered for 3 whole yards[:-] I would not take it, mine was not on purpose, hell I was reaching for another arrow. Then she just fell over and died.

lifesadrag 01-03-2007 03:32 PM

The blood out her noise is her lungs being hit. The broad is stuck right in the center I bet!
[/quote]

Maybe 1 lung, maybe 1 lung & liver?

ArrowMike 01-03-2007 03:33 PM

No, I would of let it turn more or walk. Just not big on gut shots. I like the two lung shot much better.

southern_hunter194 01-03-2007 03:33 PM

no i probably wouldnt. i would only take a shot at it if there was a clear shot for the KILL ZONE

GMMAT 01-03-2007 03:34 PM

Claim is one lung. This is his first deer.

salty 01-03-2007 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Claim is one lung. This is his first deer.

I was going to say this is possibly someone's first deer or first attempt to make a shot on a deer. Either way it's dead and he still has the other side of the rear for meat

mnbuckman 01-03-2007 03:40 PM

No, I would not take that shot. I would be more worried about not having an exit hole, and then having a hard blood trail to follow. Looks like it did the job though.

Finch 01-03-2007 03:47 PM

NO, I would not even think about taking that shot. It seems pretty foolish to me. That arrow could have easily not hit its mark and then you would have one suffering deer. He might as well had sent that arrow straight up the deer's azz if taking those kind of shots.

A kidney shot is a lethal shot. If thats all I had; I would not take that shoteither.[&:]

Just because something is a lethal hit doesn't mean you should aim for it.

bowhunterjohn 01-03-2007 03:51 PM

Heck I dont even like taking a quartering too shot. I like em broadside or slightly quartering away.

Thats asking for trouble, was it a mistake.. ie.... hit a branch or something?

I like to eat the loins too much, that shot would make em taste like a rotten catfish LOL

terbzz 01-03-2007 03:57 PM

i bet it was a quarting away shot and messed it up

Finch 01-03-2007 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: terbzz

i bet it was a quarting away shot and messed it up
Thats another possibility but thats not how I read the posts. Supposedly, thats the only shot that was available???

EDIT: I actually take the abovestatement back. That would be one helluva of a quartering away shot.

animalized 01-03-2007 04:01 PM

I would absolutely not take that shot and for a couple reasons. One, because I simply would not take a shot like that and two, because two years ago, a freind of mine called me and said he had just shot a buck. He wanted to know if I would go help him track it. (he had little tracking experience) After talking to him about the shot, etc., I told him he did the right thing by leaving it sit for a while and agrees to go help him track it. By the time I got there, it was a good couple hours after he shot it. Well, to make a long story short, there certainly was a HUGE blood trail to follow but let me tell you, when I came upon that deer and found it, right at that moment it made me sick and also made me regret getting this person into this sport. The arrow was exactly like the one in this posts picture. You could clearly see where the deer had laid there for quite some time, bleeding, and obviously suffering, then finally died. There was lots of snow on the ground which made it that much easier to see this. Just picturing in my head, this deer lying there suffering like that, with this arrow sticking out of his rear, was absolutely sickening. Not to mention the smell. I could hardly stand it so you know it was bad.

I hope I NEVER have to witness anything like that again. I realize I'm a hunter but that is something that could have easily been avoided.

Buster T 01-03-2007 04:22 PM

okay, you are NOT showing us a shot - you are showing us a HIT

big difference - anyone who's bowhunted knows that deer can move, jump, the arrows can deflect, the shots can look different than they are ......... I have NO IDEA of knowing what "shot" was offered or taken, thus I cannot say one way or the other IF I'd have taken it !

as for that hit ? it'll kill a deer everytime IMO because it got deep penetration, certainly live and lung and everything in between femoral artery and lung. Deadly shot, nasty to clean that deer I bet.

mbhutton 01-03-2007 04:32 PM

I would not take that shoot, but as Germ puts it, it works

Zdeerslayer 01-03-2007 04:35 PM

I would not take that shot, but the claim was one lung, and I bet it got some of the diaphragm too, which would cause the lungs to stop working and the blood from the mouth. Another possibility of what happened was that the deer was quatering away, pretty steeply, then the deer turned its head to scratch its back w/ its teeth like they do or look behind it, but turned its front enough to show some vitals, then the shooter(new hunter)thought he had a shot, but hit a couple inched back, causing that steep angle. These 2 pics show kinda what I'm talking about, but imagine them turned a little more. to a new hunter that may look like a good shot.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/zdeerslayer/roedeer.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/zdeerslayer/deer1.jpg

MOM W/SWD 01-03-2007 04:36 PM

Absolutely Not

Rhody Hunter 01-03-2007 04:37 PM

no way i would take that shot i don't want stomach and intestines all over good meat

kerner21 01-03-2007 04:41 PM

No way would I take that shot. Like Campo said hes lucky that he found her.

Finch 01-03-2007 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Zdeerslayer

I would not take that shot, but the claim was one lung, and I bet it got some of the diaphragm too, which would cause the lungs to stop working and the blood from the mouth. Another possibility of what happened was that the deer was quatering away, pretty steeply, then the deer turned its head to scratch its back w/ its teeth like they do or look behind it, but turned its front enough to show some vitals, then the shooter(new hunter)thought he had a shot, but hit a couple inched back, causing that steep angle. These 2 pics show kinda what I'm talking about, but imagine them turned a little more. to a new hunter that may look like a good shot.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/zdeerslayer/roedeer.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/zdeerslayer/deer1.jpg
Thats what I was thinking too earlier but the arrow looks perfectly parallel with the spine.

PreacherTony 01-03-2007 04:43 PM

I agree with Buster..... I think it's a hit, not a purposed point of aim.

Jeff ..... any more info on the story here ...... :eek:

Germ 01-03-2007 04:57 PM

The hit idea is good one, I was not aiming there when I hit her last year. Deer was qrt away and turn as I shot. Trust me the first words were "oh sh|t, I shother in the arse" Just as I reach, she died.

AR Bowhunter 01-03-2007 05:20 PM

No, I would not, was he on the ground when he shot looks like it might have got in the back bone.

grizzly_hackle36 01-03-2007 05:33 PM

Wouldn't purposely takeTHAT shot with a gun, much less a bow but agree with Busterand hope it's a hit, not an intentional shot.