Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thoughts on the color Black >

Thoughts on the color Black

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thoughts on the color Black

Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thoughts on the color Black

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Germ , 3.5 deer aren't common where I live due to B&Ds , and the stand is also brand new , so I haven't shot any that size from this particular stand . I have had deer of various ages walk by the stand , all of them checked it out , none of them spooked unless I moved or otherwise blew it . I sincerely doubt that you can ever truly hide any new object from a whitetail , they notice new objects very easily . All I'm saying is that I doubt that a couple of black stripes are gonna blow your hunt . Your smell or movement will do that far more often .
Thanks kevin1 good info!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't really worry about camouflaging a stand from deer. Like someone said, if it doesn't move they'll get over the lines of a stand real quick. I camouflage to hide them and me from prying eyes. I've had people walk under me, had a guy a couple years ago walk down into the woods from a lawn cleaning job and take a dump while he talked on his cell phone. He looked all over the woods and past me a dozen times. I was only about 18 feet up. I've had people walk their dogs past me, drive 4 wheelers within spitting distance and had a state trooper almost pee on my tree once. He came off the neighboring land he owned checking out the state land I was on. If I can hide from people I don't worry about deer except for the wind.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Site Buck Guru

I've doctored up my gear with paint for a very long time. I use gray and black primer. I spray the black first, then the gray. The overspray from the gray takes the sharpness out of the black. On the bottom of stands, I paint a tree trunk with limbs and gray sky around them. Nothing fancy but it works.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Someone should just paint a big board with leaves and succulet persimmons to hang on their tree. I'm gonna paint some apples on a sheet I've painted up to look like the forest floor......and I may even paint a corn pile on there, too.

I think this is a LOT like camo. I think WE worry about it a LOT more than the deer do.

Jeff

Hey....but what do I know??? Ilearned everything I know from people that brag about shootin spikes, spoonin dead deer and from one who hunts in long, blue underwear. This place rocks!!

p.s. I may paint a tampon on the sheet, too!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I never really thought too much about it...but Summit is making alot of money selling their SummitSkin to cover the bottom of stands!

Beyond the stand color...I'm paranoid about letting my hoise rope hang down while i'm in stand. With it blowing in any kind ofwind, I'm afraid the deer spot it, then spot me as they are looking at it. Perhaps a bit paranoid...sorry.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Yooper:

I painted my haul line to look like a real long, skinny acorn. It works great.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first compound bow, a Browning Nomad Deluxe II, was a shiney black bow with a natural wood riser. My first few attempts at bow hunting were from the ground, eye level with the deer. I wasn't successful with that bow, but NOT because of the color. I actually used to use Jim Crumley's Tree Bark, and no face mask. When deer were close, I'd have my bow held straight out in front of my face, sort of to hide behind the bow. When the wind was right, the deer didn't even notice I was there. I got 2 shots off with that bow and missed clean twice, the first time the deer didn't even spook but kind of trotted around in a semi circle at the sound of the arrow hitting brush. I even nocked a second arrow, but he was directly down wind and he winded me.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Dominant Buck

My bow is painted like a corn stalk. I've painted my yard to match their bedding area......and I painted my gambrel to look like a hot doe's legs. They usually hoist themselves right up.

I am now done.....and I apologize for having fun.....kinda.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My bow is painted like a corn stalk. I've painted my yard to match their bedding area......and I painted my gambrel to look like a hot doe's legs. They usually hoist themselves right up.

I am now done.....and I apologize for having fun.....kinda.
Where the hell is the Thread'n'ator when I need him, LOL
Old 01-03-2007, 08:33 PM

I have black on my bow and its never been a problem for me. My trail cam has black on it and the deer walk right up to it. I dont think a little black on your bow is going to spook deer.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the color Black

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.