Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need some quick opinions about a bedded buck in my backyard >

Need some quick opinions about a bedded buck in my backyard

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some quick opinions about a bedded buck in my backyard

Old 01-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some quick opinions about a bedded buck in my backyard

Alright, here is my dilema. I have a very nice buck bedded about 50 yards from my office window. I have permission to bow hunt in my neighbors safety zone and obviously I can hunt in my own land. Archery Season is still in so everything is 'legal'. This buck has been bedded since I got out of bed at 7:15 this am. I have video of him sleeping and just looking around. I've left the house and came back and he is still there.

So now here is my question. Is it right to walk out my back door and try to put a stalk on this buck? Part of me says it's not fair as I didn't really hunt him. I bow hunt for the thrill of playing the game and getting into position undetected and outsmarting him. I do have stands setup in archery about 100 - 150 yards from the house and would have no problem shooting him if he walked under my stand or past my ground blind.

So what would you do??

I'll try to post some pictures later on.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some quick opinions about a bedded buck in my backyard

Just because he is bedded in the yard dont think its going to be easy, I say go after him and if you can stalk him there its no different than in the woods!! It is just where you happen to find him!!! Walt
Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you wouldn't enjoy trying to stalk up on him then I say don't do it. If you would enjoy it then I say go for it. It isn't so easy to walk up on one. There is still that element of hunting. Would it be different if he was bedded 200 yards away? If I thought it would still be a true stalk, then I would go for it. However, you have to make that call for yourself. Either way, pretty cool that he is bedded there for you to get to see.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

depending on size of buck and if i already have meat in the freezer would be the determining factor for me. I would have no issue shooting a deer that close to my house (if i lives somewher where that was possible).....if i had meat and he was nothing super impressive i would let him walk and see if he gets bigger next year....if i didn't have meat or he was a decent buck i would be walking out the back door and then....THUMP! CRASH!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Just because he's that close doesn't mean you'll be able to get in a stalk. I say go for it especially if its a good buck. You never know when you'll get a chance like that again.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it sounds like a great way to test your skills. Check the wind, put on some wool socks, with no boots, would be my plan, and go get him. All you can do is get him, or not...
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Believe me I don't think its going to be a slam dunk, I've obsessed over Whitetails for years and know their senses. I tried a stalk on one last fall that was tending a doe and it was a lot of fun. Part of me thinks I don't havea chance because I know how I am at stalking. another part really wants the challange.

I work out of my house and it is killing me. Customers come first and I would never jeopardize my job but my Boss also understands my obsession (which is really cool.) I just keep getting up and checking on him. He's moved about 10 yards and is now facing the other way.

I think I am going to go to my ground blind later in the day and hopefully he will walk by.

As for his size. He is an 8, almost 9but the last point isclose to aninch long. I have one that is almost identical from last year that scored 114 so for my area (Western PA) this is a very nice buck.

I like the fact that he hangs out here and I have hours of video from the bucks I've seen this fall and the last few at my house. If you search on Backyard Bucks you'll find my numerous posts over the years. This buck is in one from late September/earlyOctobery.It's nice to see he has made it thru all the season.

I have some work to get done, we'll see what happens.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do a lot of hunting in suburbs and I'm sure you know that they will pay you no mind if you're 50 yards away and cutting the grass or raking the leaves, but as soon as you stop or step off the cut grass into their territory they are on high alert. Good luck if you go for it, and let us know how you do.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I do a lot of hunting in suburbs and I'm sure you know that they will pay you no mind if you're 50 yards away and cutting the grass or raking the leaves, but as soon as you stop or step off the cut grass into their territory they are on high alert.
You described my hunting to a "T".
Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I do a lot of hunting in suburbs and I'm sure you know that they will pay you no mind if you're 50 yards away and cutting the grass or raking the leaves, but as soon as you stop or step off the cut grass into their territory they are on high alert.
You described my hunting to a "T".
Amen, deer know their securitys.....

Quick Reply: Need some quick opinions about a bedded buck in my backyard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.