Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heart or Lung shot (which is more ethical) >

Heart or Lung shot (which is more ethical)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heart or Lung shot (which is more ethical)

Old 01-02-2007, 10:15 PM

Default RE: Heart or Lung shot (which is more ethical)

Hey furgitter, I wasn't talking with a gun. I will try to make the high shoulder shot everytime with a gun, puts them to the ground right where they were standing. I was talking with a bow, do you shoot them with a bow in the head too??
Old 01-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take a lung shot over a heart shot, butit also has a lot to do with how confident you are in your shooting, and whatever shot the deer gives you. You won't get a perfect broadside shot every time of course, so it varies. But lung shot over heart shot for me if I have a choice.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

OOPs- my mistake,I forgot i was on the bow sight.No sir,ill try to lung them every time with a bow.
ORIGINAL: buckhunter1980

Hey furgitter, I wasn't talking with a gun. I will try to make the high shoulder shot everytime with a gun, puts them to the ground right where they were standing. I was talking with a bow, do you shoot them with a bow in the head too??
Old 01-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I aim just behind the crease 1/3 up the body. Sometimes I just get lungs, sometimes I get heart and lungs. Either way, it is as humane a kill as possible. I've had deer I shot jump when hit and then stand there until they fall over. I assume that is because they have no idea that they have been shot. It makes me feel good to think so anyway.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

I'm the type of guy that likes to be directly over my target. I'm not afraidto take a far shot but, I like being as close as possible. So I usually shoot and get the inside lung and heart. Dual'ies
[hr]

By Inside Lung: I mean the lung thats closest to me

Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

RE ^^^ my previuos post I'm sure I'll get slack for shooting close to the spine, but I'll wait till that happens. I haven't shot the spin yet but i've read that is a shot that is unmistakeable usually dropping the deer in its tracks or temporarily paralizing it. I'll re-nock and shoot again. or learn to set up differently!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm being honest.....

I aim for a spot that I think contains the vitals. I've done enough deer autopsies now to know where that is.....but I never consciously think about it when I'm in the stand.

The first deer I harvested this year....I shot a little low and forward.....blowing through the shoulder. There was an exit wound on the off side.....but the fletching end of the arrow bnever entered the deer's cavity. He didn't go far, nonetheless. I think....with my new bow....that same arrow blows completely through that deer on that shot.

I may get to a point where I am thinking about what part of what organ I'm aiming at......but I'm not concerned about it right now.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont forget that people loose deer all the time and im sure most of them died.I liver shot a doe this year and had minimal blood.Fresh powder saved the day.What im saying is, shootin is the easy part,but youre not done till its in the truck.I helped a friend look for a bad hit buck for three days,we never found it.He wouldnt go out any more because he was so sick about it.Ya gotta stop the deer to make the shot you want.Even if hes walking.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The heart is more effective than a single lung.....agreed! A double lung is just as effective as a heart and 3X the size of target.....agreed! So if you have the double lung shot whala, if you dont you beter be a good shot and be able to hit a grapefruit at whatever yardage you are shooting, cause that heart is an awfull small target on a living breathing and moving target!
Old 01-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I just tuck it in close to the shoulder and below the center line.

Quick Reply: Heart or Lung shot (which is more ethical)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.