Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why so many deer? >

Why so many deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why so many deer?

Old 01-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Why so many deer?

I drive big truck for a living and today while out running some of my regular routes I saw more deer between 8-9 am than I ever have all season from the road. What puzzles me is that there's a full moon intonight's sky. According to what I've been reading here, there seems to be an understanding that whenever there's a full moon covering much of the night time hours, deer are more apt to be noturnal and feed during those moonlithours. On top of that, it was very warm outsideand that should've been keeping deer bedded.

So... can anyone offer an explanation as to why I saw 5 deer total on 3 separate ocassions?

I plan to do some season's end hunting this weekend. Can anyone else give methe typicaldeer movementforecast for mid 40's temps in WI?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Default RE: Why so many deer?

It's been my experience that deer move a lot more during the late morning on a full moon. I don't normally even head to my stand until 8:00 or so....
Old 01-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Could be more of an explanation of moon positioning. I understand but don't fully understand that a moons position dictates more on their stomach than does position. Underfoot or overhead is suppose to be the best time to see deer movement.

Anyone know the position of the moon at that time of morning?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Rob beat me to it, I've read that as well. I usually see deer movement around that time as well tho.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Not sure exactly, but at 5:00 yesterday evening it would have been about where the sun is at 10 in the morning......So I guess that theory isn't totally shot.....It wouldn't have been DIRECTLY underfoot.....But not too aweful far from it...
Old 01-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Site Buck Guru

Some fawns are coming into heat, third rut.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

You got that right Greg. I saw a big 8 today sniffing on two does.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:06 PM

deer do wierd things sometimes thats forsure
Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob and Greg may both be right on this one. I Have been arguing the moon phase thing for years, and years, and years,with so called whitetail / moon phase experts. So without writeing a novel, I will try to explane. When the moon is in position to have the Strongest Gravitational Pull on the planetit Causes an Uncontrolable Urge to Eat in both Humans and Animals. Don' belive me? Keep track of what you eat for 2 month's, then let me know what you think!! The Moon's Gravitational pull moves Oceans!!! And in the northern states, in areas were the Doe to Buck ratio is high, you should start seeing signs of the third and final rut. But hay, I'm just a slightly over weight, middle age bowhunter, take it for what it's worth!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Please forgive my ignence but could somebody splain this overhead underfoot theory?

Quick Reply: Why so many deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.