Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
PA mistake kill?  big fine? >

PA mistake kill? big fine?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA mistake kill? big fine?

Old 11-27-2002, 04:48 PM

Default PA mistake kill? big fine?

The story goes like this.
In erie county pa a archery "mistakenly killed a 5 point buck". This deer had 3 points to one side and two on the other. Assuming he would receive a 25$ fine and lose the antlers the archery turned himself in. The hunter was given a $2500.00 fine and loss of license for 5 years. The reason for the fine was that the deer was not even close to a legal buck. Which in Erie county must have 4 points to one side. This was in the Albion area.

Eddie
Old 11-27-2002, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA mistake kill? big fine?

wow. I don't know if this is good or bad. It could be taken two ways. One is that if you just make a mistake and try to do the right thing you get killed with fines and loss of license. This doesn't promote good feelings towards hunters doing the right thing.

Second is that this will deffinately make a statement to all hunters to make sure of what you are shooting at, and less of a chance of mistakes. So less illegal bucks shot in the long run.

But wow I bet that hunter will never do that again. I mean that he will never turn in a mistake and try to do the right thing as will anyone else. They will just let them rot and waste a good animal. Sad I must say.

Brian

Old 11-27-2002, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I will have to agree with SuperMag on this. The next hunter to take an illegal buck will just leave him there instead of paying a fine that is more than he might make in a months pay. Although I do think the minimal points system is a good idea if you want to improve the overall quality of the bucks in a certain area, I think the fine given to this person is just way to steep, I have never heard of anyone who has POACHED a deer and got a fine like that.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:02 PM

I think that's ridiculous. Super Mag, your right NO ONE will ever do THAT again, THAT being turning oneself in for a mistake. Now the guy should be penalized but COME ON! Try to do the right thing...

Trushot }}------>
Old 11-27-2002, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, that is an outrageously steep fine, sounds like the judge has a thing against hunters. We have a 3 pt rule in Arkansas, with the exception of WMA's, which is 4 pt then. It will definitely make a person not want to turn it in if they make a mistake.

The best of luck in all your hunting endeavors!!!

God Bless,
Dave
Old 11-27-2002, 07:50 PM

Page 27 of the PGC regulations digest that comes with your license when you buy it states "If you kill a buck that does not meet the required antler restrictions, after completing the sworn statement and paying the $25 restitution, you must surrender the antlers. You may keep the deer." In the paragraph above that one sworn statement is defined as this "explaining when, where and how the accident or mistake occurred." Sounds like he needs to have his day in court with the PGC to me...

>>>------------>
Let's Go Shootin' ! Pinmaster
>>>------------>
Old 11-28-2002, 09:55 AM

The $25 fine is only if they determine that it was truely a mistake. If it is determined that you are just trying to pass it off as a mistake you are going to pay more than $25.
Eddie
Old 11-28-2002, 10:41 AM
Dominant Buck

NOPE... not turning myself in on that one. Rather than do the right thing I'll just become "El Outlaw". I believe if they caught a REAL outlaw he probably would get off easier if he claimed he was out of work and had to feed his family. $2,500 and loss of 5 years hunting is just a bit of an overkill if you ask me. This has ceased to be antler restrictions for the sake of the herd.... it's all about trophy hunters and Alt.

Old 11-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-28-2002, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

First I have to say I think you are hearing a rumor spun WAyyyyyyyyyy out of control. This whole thing is starting to hit "Urban Legand" status here in PA.
I've heard a few things myself and they don't compare to that story. First off.....I'm pretty sure that the straight out illegal killing of a deer in PA carries a 3yr license revocation, so 5yrs for a "Mistake" seems a bit odd to me. (And Njbowman , yes you will lose hunting privilages for certain offenses first time or not)
As far as $2500?.......I would seriously doubt that as well.

From what I understand......and this could be just a rumor as well there are something like 3 cases in the state so far where after investigating the story it was determined that the kills were NOT a "Mistake".(From what I gather a person reporting a "Mistake" must fill out a sworn statement describing the entire hunt and the facts surrounding the kill are then checked out, and if deemed suspicious further investigation is neccessary) If a true mistake is made they take the antlers, fine you $25 and YOU GET TO KEEP THE MEAT. So I am left to assume that someone was willing to trade the $25 for a freezer full of meat because you don't get a new tag.
In the cases I heard of......and I repeat I have no way of verifying this.......the people were determined to have simply killed an "illegal" buck and hoped to simply pay their $25 and head to the butcher. These people were fined $500 and lost their privilages for 1yr. Thats the story I heard, and nothing more.

Quick Reply: PA mistake kill? big fine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.