Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 squirrell hunting w/ bow >

squirrell hunting w/ bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

squirrell hunting w/ bow

Old 12-29-2006, 12:31 PM

Default squirrell hunting w/ bow

hey guys, i have been noticing ALOT of squireels in my backyard since my mom started putting out feed for the birds, the tree rats just swarm to it. they dont even act like they are scared, they watch me in the yard all day long. is it worth hunting these things? it honestly wouldnt be hunting, it would be shooting w/ my bow. i just want to see what they taste like, i have never ate or even shot one. is it hard to hit a squireell with a bow, much harder than a 22? i would like to pop a few of them (when momo isnt looking), skin them up and eat them, but im not sure if its worth it or possible w/ my bow. if so, would i use broad heads (doubt it), target points or what? thanks alot guys. also: about how many does it take to have enough meat for a person or two...2 squirrels, 4? im just not sure how much meat comes off each one. thanks aGAIN

edit, corrected the spelling of squirrel in the title.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: squirell hunting w/ bow

My son shot a bunch of 'em last year. To his credit....he skinned 'em all and we fried 'em up and put 'em in gravy.

We live in a squirrel rich environment.....and he could shoot ALL he wanted to.

He's got the #4 squirrel in North America, right now, I think.[&:]

jeff
Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 PM

gmmat - how many does it take to get a decent sized amount of meat....what do you mean by # 4 Squirrel , you mean by size ? thanks for the response
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I was kidding about the #4 stuff

I'd seriously consider taking a BUNCH if you want to make a meal....lol, but we grew up just making gravy and adding the browned meat.....like sausage gravy. You can make a little go a long ways, that way. I wouldn't know any other way to prepare them. Sorry.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think he was just joking aorund when he said #4 in NA

My buddy actually shot one today with his bow. It was a good shot from 20 yards. Go for it. Its good target practice.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 PM

sounds like a great way to get some practice and get some meat for a pot pie
it only takes a few to make a pot pie.
i love me some squirell pot pie.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude shoot all that you want..they're great in gravy but I'm not much on them fried..yes they are hard to hit with a bow.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 PM

ok i might go ahead and try it then. if i cant hit them then i will have a goal atleast. i just never thought of hunting them you know. just seems like they would be a waste of time and effort for the amount of meat you get. i will probably give it a try and see what happens. im guessing like 3 or 4 would give me a small meal...maybe? lol i duhno thanks for the help
Old 12-29-2006, 01:59 PM

Yes, I want to try this too. I have seen "small game" heads, but there seems to be a lot of different types. Can you use a regular broadhead, or what about a normal field point? What's the best tip for squirrels?

Rob
Old 12-29-2006, 02:13 PM

i would think a target point, not a regular broadhead b/c it would be to leathal. we will wait and hopefully some1 with knowledge will help us, but i beleive you just use field tips. it does sound fun and challenging.

Quick Reply: squirrell hunting w/ bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.