Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Measuring draw length >

Measuring draw length

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Measuring draw length

Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Measuring draw length

My wife is ready to take on the challenge of bowhunting. I am going to get her the Parker challenger II, but I need her draw length. Here's the problem, I nor any of my friends own a recurve for her to pull back and measure the arrow and there isn't a bow shop for 30 miles. My question: Is there an alternative way to measuring her draw length? I have heard measure her finger to finger span against a wall and divide by two. Is this accurate?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Measuring draw length

I did a google search on this not to long ago and what I found said to divide "wing span" by 2.5. Don't solely take my word for it, do a google search for yourself.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's importent enough to make the trip. She needs one that really fits her well to start out so she doesn't develope any bad habbits.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:40 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Here is a link to help...

http://www.rmarchery.com/_Choosing+A+Bow.html

Old 12-28-2006, 07:44 AM

All of those methods will get you close, some closer than others. However none of them will give you your actual draw length. The best way to measure your draw length is do draw the bow you are going to get and see if it fits, if not change it. Every bow and set up will be slightly different. I have 4 bows, none of them have the exact same draw length.

And you sure as heck can't go by what the manufacturer says, they usually are not right, sometimes by an inch or more![] If your bow shop is 30 miles away (really isn't that far in my opinion) how are you getting the bow? Am I assuming you are ordering it? Good luck doing a quick measure for draw length then ordering a bow and having it fit her properly. There are a whole lot of "ifs" and "maybies" in that method.

The best way without using the actual bow is to use one of those recurves with an arrow fixed to the string. However I don't feel these are really that accurate either. Especially if you are drawing it with your fingers like I see so many do. If she is going to shoot a release, you best measure her draw length with a release, preferably the one she will be using. Recurves also don't draw the same as a compound so that can effect things as well. Along with the Axl to Axle and other bow specs. It will get you close, but not perfect, maybe within an inch or so. And like I said, that is providing the bow is made to spec.

The wing span method works for some, and not so well for others, it doesn't even come close for me. I think it was off by about two inches when I tried it.

You could have her hold her draw hand where she is going to anchor, then extend her bow arm and measure from her grip to the corner of her mouth, then add 1.75 inches to that. That would give you an aproximate draw length. Sometimes using a string helps.

I think your best bet would be to take her to the shop and let her try a few set ups the way she will be shooting and see what happens. I think it would be worth it if you had to drive 60 miles to be honest, just make a day of it. Heck when I got my girlfriend her bow it took about 6 hours before we left, and it was about 40 miles from where I live. They did give her some lessons and show her how to use a back tension release though.

In my honest opinion without sounding like too much of an A-hole if you have to ask how to measure draw length for a new bow you should go to a shop and get professional help. It may save some headaches in the long run. Especially when you are talking about someone else. If it were you I would say try it, but since you are doing this for someone else I say get help and do it right. An ill fitting bow is a good way to turn someone away from the sport.

I would also suggest not getting archery equipment for someone as a suprise. This should be a planned event and you should let her pick her own equipment with some guidence from you and a pro shop.

Parker makes a decent bow though, as does bowtech, martin, alpine and hoyt.

Keep in mind not all shops are equal, some flat out blow. I can't say what the shop is in your area. If it's not what you think it should be find another, even if it's farther away. Just be sure to let them know you live a good distance away and ask them questions. They should be ok with that.

Paul
Old 12-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

The wingspan method is the best to get you in the ball park. Just grabbing bows or relying on most pro shops to get you in the right size is usually NOT the way to go. That's especially true for a beginner who has no idea what it's suppose to feellike. I have the worlds best proshop, he'd get you right. He'd also never just grab a bow that's close because he had it on the shelf and tell you it was the right size. An inch, heck even 1/2 and inch can make a lot of difference. There are too many shops that rely on manufacturer claims of draw length to fit someone. There are too many that will convince you that what they have in inventory is the "RIGHT" one for you. The wingspan method gets you very close and within adjustments of a particular bow. As Len says, probably 90 percent of the archers of the world are over bowed as far as draw length.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 AM

I'm not suggesting you have a shop just grab a bow and see if it fits. They will most likely use one of the more rudimentary methods to get close and then get a bow and install the correct cam/module or adjust it to that length. Then let you draw the bow and shoot it some while watching you and then make adjustments until it's right.

At least this is what a good shop would do, like said there are many not so good shops out there. If they grab a bow and say it's close enough, I might look for new shop. Of course they might say try it for a while and come back if you are a new archer or they suspect the string may stretch.

If you don't know what it is supposed to "feel" like then it sure would be a good idea to have someone that actually knows what they are doing watch you draw your bow to see how it looks and make sure your form was right.

The wing span method may get you close, but don't count on it being right and there better be enough adjustment in the bow to make up for it. In my case with some bows it would require a different cam or two steps away in modules. And then if you try a different bow or release it may change from that.

Don't expect to do the wing span method then order a bow at that spec and have it fit perfectly. I seriously doubt that will happen. You would have errors in the measuring method and most bows are not actually what they say they are. If you are trying to not go to the pro shop you might actually end up there anyway, but with a product they didn't sell you or are not familiar with.

I don't even check the draw length until everything is done and I want to pick and cut arrows. Otherwise I just adjust the bow until it fits, I don't care what the actual draw length is until I am done.

Just my opinions anyway.

Paul
Old 12-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jnrbronc

I did a google search on this not to long ago and what I found said to divide "wing span" by 2.5. Don't solely take my word for it, do a google search for yourself.
would have to agree