Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 which size optics do you prefer for hunting and why.. >

which size optics do you prefer for hunting and why..

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
8x20 power
0%
8x32 power
21.43%
10x32
7.14%
10x42
53.57%
12x42
0%
12x50
3.57%
none at all, my eyes are all i need.
14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

which size optics do you prefer for hunting and why..

Old 12-24-2006, 10:50 AM

Default which size optics do you prefer for hunting and why..

I was just thinking after christmas there are usually goodsales so I thought id poll my fav. place for hunting advice to see what the others were use ing. I was thinking of gettinga nice camo set ofbinoculars for my hunting. Im a turkey, deer, squirrell some times any thing legal kind of hunter so It would be nice to have some thing that would work great for all those hunting situations.
Please feel free to post up what u use or any options I missed.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:22 AM

Default RE: which size optics do you prefer for hunting and why..

10x25 so I voted for 10x32. You don't need camo I have dark green ones and the work fine. I find binoculars are one of the key pieces of hunting right up by your gun or bow.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont take binos with me.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Get something at least in the 40mm objective lens size. All the compacts are worse in low light and create more eye strain after long periods of viewing. If you're a deep woods hunter and not needing to view things over the next mountain, go with 7 or 8 power. 10 will give you more magnification but you'll loose some low light viewing(again a lot dependant on YOUR eyes) It's a given that the average guy can't hold anything much above a 12 power still enoughwith just his hand. I'm a woods hunter. My 7 x 42s are perfect for me. If I hunted lots of open ground and fields I'd probably go with 10 x 42, realizing I was loosing some low light viewing. Anything in the 50mm objective lens will give you the best of all the best.... BUT... they're heavier, more bulky and not needed in most cases.

To get real technical(well not real but scientific a little) You best low light viewing is achieved with a power to objective lens ration of 7.(objective lens diameter divided by power of the glasses) With a 7 x 42 you have a ration of 6(42 divided by 7) With a 7 x 50 you have a ration of 7(50 divided by 7.(Coincidentaly.. the prefered binos for the military 7 x 50) Your 8 x 42 the ratio is just a little over 5. If you get into the compacts like an 8 x 25 you can see the ratio is only 3. Most human eyes will be able to make use of the light gathered only up to a point. They found that the ratio of 7 is about the max, so a pair of 2 x 50s would not be much better for low light than the 7 x 50s. Low ratios suck.... near 6 to 7 are optimum.

I went with 7 x 42s becauses it was a compromise of light gathering abilities, weight and size. I can easily move and shoot my bow with my binos strapped to my chest with a set of good bino buddy straps. I can literally see deer in a field with them when your naked eye sees nothing but darkness. I've shown it to people, deer in the dark, and they couldn't believe it. BUY THE BEST GLASS YOU CAN AFFORD. You get what you pay for in optics. You'll find with the better low light factors you can also focus much more clearly on objects deep in the brush. With a set of compacts everything blots out or runs together. With a high low light factor you can focus through it all and find every little leaf, eye or ear. I spent two years visiting optic shops at opening time, closing time, in the dark and broad daylight. I left my credit card with some of them and walked out side to do some true daylight, twilight viewing into brush etc. The differences in glass won't show up in a store looking at a display or a dark corner of the ceiling. You have to see them out doors at all distances. I did the research and verified it at the stores before I bought. I narrowed it to 3 pairs, then two because of eye appeal really. I then was down to $125-150 dollars difference and went with the cheaper pair.... that wasn't cheap.[&:]

Going with your choices. I immediately dismiss the first three compacts. I next dismiss the12 x 50s unless I was out West in big country, but even at that, I think they're too big for a bow hunting and the 12 power almost demands a tripod or solid rest. I next dismiss the 12 x 42 because holding 12 power still is tough and the ration of power to obj. lens diameter is getting low. That leaves us with the 10 x 42 which I could live with. In my woods I'd opt for the more popular 8 x 42 you don't list. If they had made them when I bought mine I would have bought them. But then again, I love my 7 x 42s. They'd be perfect for you squirrel hunting etc. You could pick the tree tops apart and not wear your eyes out. The focal plane and depth are superb for that.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave's advice is excellent.........I personally use 8X43 Pentax. I dropped a pretty penny on them when I bought them but there isn't a piece of hunting or outdoor equipment that I use more.
8X43 or 8X42's are very bright in the whitetail woods and to tell you the truth even when I was hunting antelope in WY I really wasn't wanting for more power.
I think a good pair of 8X42 roof prism binos (Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Legend,Pentax DCFSP.etc) on a Bino buddy type harness area great choicefor everything but serious long range glassing.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Binoculars I feel are invaluable for archers. They are very important to me as Matt said.

Not only do I use them to find deer that I otherwise may have never seen but I also use the after I shot to watch the animal, glass the shot etc..etc...Even in tracking they can come very valuable.

I voted 10X42's only because I carry 10X50 Bruntons. I wear them over my shoulder on a 2" thick strap, you'll see 3D shooters using this technic. The binos lay on your hip and are there for quick use. I do this because my rangefinder is on my chest using a Crooked Horn Bino strap.

I've been able to pick out pieces of deer in brush that the naked eye cannot see only to call that animal in and shoot it. Without binos I honestly can say that a few of the bucks I've shot, wouldn't have been.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

7-8 power and 32 - 40mm objective lenses are all the binocular any one needs for any kind of hunting IMHO.

IMO if more magnification is needed a spotting scope should be deployed.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

10X42. I use the Nikon Monarchs. Excellent glass for $300.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

10x42 anything smaller than 40mm kinda stinks in low light.

I also LOVE my Bruntons.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

10x42 anything smaller than 40mm kinda stinks in low light.
Yes to a POINT. The point being, if you raise the power too much you end up defeating the larger objective lens' ability to transmit light. It all goes back to the ratio of objective lens size to power. A 10 x 42 is really not muchbetter than an 8 x 32. A 7 or 8 X 40 transmits much more light.

Quick Reply: which size optics do you prefer for hunting and why..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.