Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Doe following a buck >

Doe following a buck

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe following a buck

Old 12-22-2006, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doe following a buck

On my last sit (Dec 10) just before dark a nice 8 came out of the woods on his way to cut corn. I was deciding if I should shoot or not when I realized there was another deer following along, a big doe.
I've seen many bucks behind does before, even if they aren't chasing, I've found that the bucks like to let the does lead the way/test for danger.
Is a doe following a buck a common thing that I've just never seen before, or was this a rare sight?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Doe following a buck

I shot a 6 point 3 years ago with my ML that was closely followed by a doe. At first I thought it was a BB and they were the start of a bachelor group. But after glassing I was sure it was a doe. I let them come up to 15 yds before I shot the buck.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like txj said there is a chance it was a BB and the batchelor groups are forming. One week ago while hunting i had 4 bucks come thru at a distance and a 4 point that was already at the base of my tree joined them. could it be?
Dan
ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I shot a 6 point 3 years ago with my ML that was closely followed by a doe. At first I thought it was a BB and they were the start of a bachelor group. But after glassing I was sure it was a doe. I let them come up to 15 yds before I shot the buck.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen Does in the "mood"
did you get her name or #
[hr]

probably a button buck
I saw a group of three bucks
all two to six pointers pretty cool to see them back together!!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is a little unusual. We're used to a buck following a doe because a big part of when we are in the woods is during the rut. With the rut over or about over, the bucks are back to the food source as the number one priority.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never forget, anything is possible with the whitetail deer.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

This deer was the first in a string of 11 that crossed 200 yards of cut corn and came right to me. Think of it. 11 does and dinks in a row but this guy was leading the way. He got to me about the time the last deer was still 100 yards behind.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:19 AM

That's an interesting behavior. For what it's worth, the only times I have seen a buck preceeding does was when someone had bumped/driven the deer. I rationalized this by guessing that the bucks, in that situation, would be the first to want to get away from danger regardless ofwho's leading who?

Jon
Old 12-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a buck that was with a doe one time and after the buck fell the doe stuck around within 10 yards. Even as I started to gut the buck, she would run off a little ways then come back. It was not until I started dragging the buck out of the woods did she finally leave.
In the world of animal husbandry, bucks just do not choose the does. The does also look for the dominant bucks. Therefore, ensuring the offsprings greatest chance for survival (best genetics). I believe dominant doessearch for dominant bucks. Since it is a rare sight to see a 5 year old dominant buck, it is also a rare sight to see a doe looking for that buck.
In every species the females have a large say in who gets what. Go to any bar on Friday night, The females choose and chase just as much as us males. They are looking for that dominant buck.