Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 maybe a weird question, but... >

maybe a weird question, but...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

maybe a weird question, but...

Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 PM

Default maybe a weird question, but...

hey fellas. im just wandering if you guys have any "standards" or limits on the size, age and maturity of deer that you kill. does it have to be a certain size doe, a certain # of points for a buck and so forth. Also, this is where the "weird" part comes in, does anyone shoot fawns? I hope this isnt an outragous question, i have never killed one but im just wandering if its ethically wrong or whatever. i heard the younger the deer, themore tneder the meat, but how young is too young, you know? i have never really heard one way or the other on the topic, but neither have i ever heard of someone shooting a fawn. I guess my ignorance is due to lack of investigation, so this is why im wandering. I dont want to come across a situation where i have to debate whether its wrong or right, or does it come down to just personal preference? thanks alot guys
Old 12-20-2006, 04:24 PM

Default RE: maybe a weird question, but...

Welcome to the forums!
As for your question, itis up to you, just don't break the law doing it. They all taste great.

Good luck,
Txmm
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

i know many people will probably try to convince me not to do this, but when it comes to shooting bucks, im taking a shot at the first one that comes by. Now this is only because in PA there is a restriction on the size bucks you can shoot. In my area, a buck must have 4 scorable (1" or more) points on one side. Lucky for me, this rule does not apply to juniors. So im taking advantage of it while i can. Its not about killing a big buck, ill have plenty of time for that in 2 years. For now, Im just having fun huntin!

And as to shooting fawns, I try not too. Ive always found that does generally tast better than bucks of any age. I will always pass a shot at a small doe. A week befor archery season closed, I had a small one standing 15 yards in front of me broadside for 10 minutes. The mother was at 20 yards but i could not get a good shot at her, so i passed them both. Had i been given the opportunity, i would have taken a shot at the larger doe. I cant really tell you exactly how "big" a deer must be for me to take it, its just something i decide when im out hunting.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM

ok. and im guessing (from what i have heard and havent heard) that fawns are legal to kill, correct? thanks alot
Old 12-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me I'm shooting any Doe that is with in range! Here in wisconsin we have a somewhat unlimited number of antlerless tags in the Unit I hunt over the counter for 12 dollars! There's ALOT of Does in that area! As far as a Buck is concerned I can't really say what I'll shoot till the time comes! I passed on about 6 different spike, forks and 6 pointers this season! They were just not the buck I wanted to shoot! JMO! Good luck!
Old 12-20-2006, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: geterdun2

ok. and im guessing (from what i have heard and havent heard) that fawns are legal to kill, correct? thanks alot
Check your state and county game laws for that answer, or tell us where you're hunting and maybe someone on here can tell you. It is still better for you to check the Regulations yourself rather than to take someone's word for it.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forums geterdun2
It's all a matter of personal preference for alot of hunters out there , for me when it comes to bucks I have an eight point rule.
I know at times it can be my down fall like this year I had a few shot oppertunitys to take a young buck , like a small six at 15 yards.
When it comes to does , they would have to be a good size body wise at least over 150 lbs. and not tending young yearlings.
I may have to break my eight point rule this year before my season ends , I dont like the thought of eating tag soup .
Old 12-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Work on getting close to one first, shooting one isn't any easier.You might find your own answer.Many guys will say something like "I'd just like to get anything" or "I'm shooting the first one that I get a chance at" after a season or 5 or 10.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Dominant Buck

If it looks to be worth hanging and skinning it's going down , I don't care whether it has antlers or not . When I size up a deer before a shot size matters , it has to put a good sized dent in the freezer space or it walks .
Old 12-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

If it leads, it bleeds....(jk) I usually pass onfawns until real late in the season and then have passed on them also. Just depends on howgood the hunting has been to at that point.

Quick Reply: maybe a weird question, but...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.