Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fresh Rubs?

Old 12-19-2006, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Fresh Rubs?

I went for a walk last night on my property and I noticed 2 fresh rubs on a couple of small pine trees. They have been made within the last 5 days. Has anyone ever heard of rubs this late? I thought maybe I just missed them earlier but they are fresh and there is still bark shreds on the ground by the base of the tree. They are also in a very noticable spot that I have walked by many times.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fresh Rubs?

Yah the late rut. its a wonderfull thing I am starting to see deer run around everywhere again we took one yesterday at 2pm and jumped 3 coming out of the woods does can still go into estrus untill mid to late jan and as long as they are there will be a buck looking for her. me personally I would put a trail cam in that area to see if its day or night activity. if youdont have one there a dime a dozen on e-bay and a fraction of the cost from Cabella's
Good luck
Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

I have 4 out there now and I am starting to see more activity during the early morning and late afternoon during shooting hours, as opposed to the night pics I was getting for a couple of weeks. I realize there is a secondary rut but this is the first I have notice rubs. I have until the 7th of Jan to bow hunt.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

A buddy of mine told me yesterday that he's seen some fresh rubs and I saw two fresh scrapes just a couple of days ago. Seems that we are on the down-hill side of the secondary rut here in my area.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I believe it. If the testosterone is still flowing, trees will still be getting rubbed. I have noticed a few late season rubs the last couple years. When you see them, it makes you want to climb up a treestand.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:20 AM

On jan like 10 or 14th a few years ago, I watched three smaller bucks come down a woodline and start to make a few rubs in PA. I have noticed new rubs and scrapes as well in VA in the last week or so......