Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How close is too close? >

How close is too close?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How close is too close?

Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 AM

Default How close is too close?

My neighbor has a ladder stand out behind his house on state land. I don't know how often he hunts it but it's a really good area. I found a spot about 75-100 yrds away that I was going to put a stand up. Do you think that's too close?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:34 AM

Default RE: How close is too close?

Well, how good of friends are you with your neighbor? Theres no law against putting a stand too close to another person's stand (that I know ) but it may piss some people off.

Can you see his stand from where you would put yours? Would walking to your stand interrupt his hunting? I would take these in consideration.

Or, maybe you could just ask him. Some people don't fret over things like this.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

I myself would get a little mad. I will not allow anyone to sit within 300 yards of any of my stands. I know it sounds like I am a jerk but if a person starts spooking deer 75 to 100 yards from my stand it will have some effect on my hunting. I know on public land spots are hard to come by but I think that may be to close. Talk to him and see if he minds. Jst my opinion.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

That's too close for me. 200-300 yards is fine. I would ask him when he hunts there and the days he's not there, go ahead and set up where you want.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Yes thats to close. Put yourself in his shoes. He found that spot and like you said it's a good area. Plus it's behind his house so it is also it works out good for him. Would you like someone to come into the area and put a stand up 75 yards away if you were him??? I think not.

Not to be a jerk but just find your own area. Nothing bothers me more than finding a good spot and putting the time in puting a stand up and having some one come in and cramp your style.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea .. Iwould think 75 or 100 yards is to close , the area I hunt is public land and six other archery hunters hunt it too.
We get along and know each other and we respect each othershunting area , with almost 500 acres to hunt we don't have a problem having a 200 to 300 yard radius for each one of us.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may be hunting the same deer at that range. However, there would be a number of occasions where one of you may get a shot and the other would not. Perhaps, if you are concerned about it, you should error on the side of caution.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:16 AM

I would ask him. If it was me I wouln't mind. Me and a couple of my buddies hunt close together on a regular basis. There have been times when deer got past one hunter but came right to me and vise versa.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 AM

I should mention this spot is also directly behind my house, and technically you're not supposed to leave stands out overnight on public land anyway. It's also so thick it's almost like jungle. There is no way we could seeeach other. Normally I would just hunt somewhere else but I feel I have as much right as he does and it borders our community where there is no hunting. This spot can only be accessed if you live at either my house or his. I've know it was a good spot since I've moved in a 2 yrs ago and have never hunted back there just because I do respect other hunters. I'll have to talk to him if not I'll head the other direction and see if I can find something better that won't mess him up. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:25 AM

I would also ask him. If it were the case where you could just try to call him to see if he was gaoing out that day, then you might stay out of your stand. But if he isn't going hunting that day then tell him you are going to sit in that stand.

Quick Reply: How close is too close?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.