Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 LADDER STANDS FOR ARCHERY SEASON >

LADDER STANDS FOR ARCHERY SEASON

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

LADDER STANDS FOR ARCHERY SEASON

Old 12-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default LADDER STANDS FOR ARCHERY SEASON

hello, question..i always used locked on type treestand for archery..

as i got older, i now have ladder stand..it goes up 15 ft..i have not used it for archery yet..

is this type of stand ok for use in archery when your shots have to be close , like 20 to 30 yds??

do deer see it and does it have to be put there awhile for deer to get used too or not??

any opinions would be great..
Old 12-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: LADDER STANDS FOR ARCHERY SEASON

I've always been nervous of ladder stands because I just think deer will notice that new addition to the woods however many bucks have been taken from ladder stands. I don't have any but I have set them for clients and we always brush them in or set them where they are brushed in or concealed. I also like to hunt higher than a ladder stand allows but 15' is plenty high. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 ladders that I move around and have not have any deer notice them. I have hunted them the same day I put them up and had bucks within 20yds not pay any attention to them. I did buy camo paint and paint them though. Although I have a climber I don't use it much anymore, it's alot nicer to just climb up and sit down, without gettin all sweated up, and it's alot quieter too.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks BJ, that's the info we're looking for and I agree about having placed stands. I just perfer loc ons and ladder sticks. I keep watching the price of the ladder stands coming down and might up one or two for a couple stand locations that won't accomodate loc ons or climbers. Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

A ladder will work fine. Just watch where you put them and all that. Try to stick them with something natural in front of them. You know, like a little brushy tree you can tie in close or something. No different than a lock on with a climbing stick if you're careful. I don't usuallyuse them but have very successfully in the past.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

i bought my ladder stand for 49 dollars, this year..i should have bought 2 but its so easy for me to move..it takes about 30 minutes for me to take it down and strap it on my deer cart..after practice, you can have it on tree in 30 minutes..

deer cart is best thing i ever bought..i chain it to tree in woods..

my 2 things i am concerned, is 15 ft high enough for archery and can new stand affect deer..i can get another 4 ft section that would put me up about 18 ft..

thats my concern, height and if they can notice the ladder..

Old 12-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

15 ft is plenty high, your movement is more important to gettin caught. Fact is I took a hacksaw to mine and cut off a foot.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love ladder stands. Mine are 15 foot also. I have found it more important to have cover behind you to break up your outline rather than having cover in front of you. I killed a 170 class typical with my bow at 25 yards in one. I have deer all over me and never get picked out. Just keep your scent down and hunt the wind.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have three ladder stands up. Thats really all I use. I have had deer walk right under them, sniff them, take a pee right in front of them. I made me a rail system out of come old (3/8) copper and elbows. Attached it to back of tree and around to front of stands (both sides) then added some camo material around it, I think that helps. Just don't forget and try to lean on it..

If it is a metal stand, make sure you sink it into the ground up to first rung before you ratchet the top. The ladder will settle into the ground from climbing, weather and if the top is all ready fastened, the sections will separate. Also if there is no clips in between the ladder sections to hold them together. Take a rubber bongy cord and put around each (rung) section where they are joined.Once the whole thing settles, you will notice the joints coming apart as you climb, just some added protection.

be safe!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a son that hunts out of 12' ladder stands, he is a little leary of heights yet. We brush them in as allready mentioned as that is the key. a really big diameter tree also helps to. He has taken archery deer out of them with no problems. once this season i was hunting about 60 yards from him and watched as he let 10 Doe's pass by totaly undetected.
Dan

Quick Reply: LADDER STANDS FOR ARCHERY SEASON

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.