Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone ever try this? >

Anyone ever try this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone ever try this?

Old 12-17-2006, 02:51 AM

Default Anyone ever try this?

I grew up shooting clay birds with my Dad. After his game warden job he owned and operated a shooting range with trap & skeet ranges. But, I'd never thought of this....
The other day my 11 year old asked me ifwe could practice another way with the bow & arrows. Could we try to shoot clay birds? I live on an 80 acre farm, so, if (when[8D]) we miss we'd have plenty of room to not scare the neighbors.
We'd hand toss the clay birds. We're going to give it a go during the school Christmas break. Just for fun. Anyone ever try this?
Old 12-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Anyone ever try this?

Sounds like fun. It would be more fun if you used flu-flu arrows. They are big uncut feathers that prevent the arrows from going out of sight. When they run out of gas they drop straight down and stick into the ground. It makes finding them a lot easier. You may want to suspend some from a string and let them rock back and forth like a pendulem.(before you run out of arrows.)
Old 12-17-2006, 04:59 AM

Several Years ago we started to get bored shooting dots all the time. We didn't throw clays. Didn't have the room or $$for arrows with a compound, but we did get a little creative and drew a tic tac toe board on a piece of cardboard, mde up of 4" squares and then each person would shot 1 arrow, alternating turns and play against each other. We also made a modified version of a dart board and played 301 and cricket. Then we began hanging thinkg of a frame in front of a backstop from fishing line. Things like plastic cups of different sizes. Then we gave each cup a score value based on its size, 16oz was 1 pt and the little 3 oz was 5 and then race to 10 points, alternating shots. first one to 10 wins. It made things a lot more interesting and force you to really pick a spot. As fall approached we would each bring our 3-D's to each others places and then one person would get up in a stand while the guys on the ground got to set the targets all over the place, providing some challenging shots. THe one thing to remember here, based on where you set a target for someone else, they get to place it when it is your turn. I ended up a what we called a $5 shot. If you missed, there was a large rock or someothere major obstruction that would most likely damage your arrow ( Hence the $5 ) but it made for a very realistic pressure shot. Just some more thoughts to keep it interesting.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 301 or cricket idea . sounds like it would be fun . I'll have to try that
Old 12-17-2006, 05:52 AM

I have never tried it, sounds like fun and you may be on to something.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

Sounds like fun. It would be more fun if you used flu-flu arrows. They are big uncut feathers that prevent the arrows from going out of sight. When they run out of gas they drop straight down and stick into the ground. It makes finding them a lot easier. You may want to suspend some from a string and let them rock back and forth like a pendulem.(before you run out of arrows.)
Agreed. And I recommend Judo points or Grasshoppers behind your field points, if they head into the grass the prongs will help prevent them from burying in the grass.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

You gotta wait till the clay has reached its peak,then it will sort of hang there. thats when you let her go!Itl be real tough to hit one while its climbing or falling.And,dont use a compound.It may sound odd,but in this case the modern equip is no help. Good luck!!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Every summer a month before the archery deer season here in Illinois opens up,my friends and I have what we call "The Cook out Shout out" it is a great time.We cook fish and wild game and play archery poker.It's alot of fun.Also I subscribe to another bowhunting web forum,where every year or other year,we hog hunt at Osceola outfitters it Florida, one of the things we do the day before the hunt is shoot at lifesavers on a board,you have to call your color lifesaver,the winner takes home the highly coveted European mount boar head for that year.These shoot's are always fun.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:17 AM

That does sound like fun......Byron Ferguson has shot round disks in the air w/ his longbow...That was cool....Good luck, have fun and let us know how that goes.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:23 AM

haha that sounds fun, hope you dont loose your arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.