Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WI hunters kill wolves >

WI hunters kill wolves

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WI hunters kill wolves

Old 12-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WI hunters kill wolves

ORIGINAL: nodog

"Among the wild animals were red deer, which was a beautiful animal, and numerous in these parts up to 1825; the last one known in the township was a doe that remained on the north half of Section 16 during the summer of 1843, and was killed by Mr. Benjamin Allen in November of that year. Other animals were the gray fox, red fox (first seen here about 1844), raccoons, opossums, skunks, minks, muskrats, rabbits, gray and black squirrels, red squirrels (first seen here in 1850), blue- rats (the pioneer rat), the Norway rat (which immigrated here about 1838), brown bear (one found as late as 1825), the gray wolves. Elk horns were found, and yet are found in the lowlands, but the animal became extinct prior to settlements. The last gray wolf was killed about 1820, by Abraham Inlow, he being at quite a risk. Mr. Inlow was crossing the open prairie now owned by Charles Stewart; northeast quarter of Section 30; just as he entered the prairie, the wolf jumped from the grass and ran in the direction he was going. His horse started after and soon overtook the wolf, when it turned and started back. The horse stopped suddenly, turning also. Mr. Inlow, now excited, urged his horse and overtook the wolf before it reached the timber; when overtaken the second time, it turned short, turning again into the prairie; when overtaken the third time, its squatted in the long grass. Mr. Inlow now slipped quietly from his horse and grabbed the wolf by both hind legs. He soon saw he had his hands full, the wolf snapping furiously at his legs and arms; having no knife or other weapon, he started backward for the timber, twisting and kick

[hr]

[align=center]740 - HISTORY OF CLARK COUNTY.[/align]ing the wolf all the while. Upon reaching the timber, he dispatched the animal by throwing it against the standing trees."

Here's one. One of the reasons I read these books is for the great hunting stories.
So you and the author smoke the same weed...cool!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread is becoming REDICULOUS!!!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

Need I post links to articles and studies?
Sure, I love to read. Post on.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can find out what kind of man he was easy enough.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

I think the correct term is BECAME.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: _Dan

I would have thought that being such an authority on the wolf you would haveat least read some of the history of them, not some feel good, new age phylosphy created in you when you were a baby watching Disney shows.

Just wondering if you could enlighten us for our education how big the wolf packs were during the first1000 years ad. in Europe?Some of the hunts that took place were amazing.

Care to smoke some history? Start reading. I've been at it for years. Did you know that Ohio my home was once considered the wild west. It's history is well documented. The struggels the settlers had with many predators are documented in what was once a well use 2 volume set written and rewritten by a man named Henry Howe. He travel all 88 counties. The first addition was in the mid 1800's, the second in the end. Large volumes which would take sometime to read.Much can be found on the net.

The feast spoken of is a spiritual thing found in the bible, another history book. Read that one 7 times straight through in 3 years. What I've read there and in history books goes along with what many have said and experienced.
I am more confused after reading this post than I have ever been in my life.[8D]

Can you please explain to me the relevance that the Bible has to this discusson.
Nodog likes to talk in jeberish, what he is saying is "No big deer in Ohio", you just have to read between the lines.[8D]

Old 12-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The feast spoken of is a spiritual thing found in the bible, another history book. Read that one 7 times straight through in 3 years. What I've read there and in history books goes along with what many have said and experienced.
I am more confused after reading this post than I have ever been in my life.[8D]

Can you please explain to me the relevance that the Bible has to this discusson.
[/quote]

Really!

Sure there is a feast spoken of where the enemys of God are given to be devoured by "the birds of the air and the beast of the field". How could that come about if they are not to be found. Some push very hard for their reintroduction. So...

I'm not saying anything about anyone nor am I claiming any high authority.I read it and asked how it could be done before the push for reintroduction occured. Could be, could not be, I find it interesting. As for myselfI don't think the bible was written for this purpose. Your argument is that people are all screwed up in their approach to the wolf. That approach has it's roots in religion. How is it you don't see the connection? I would think that if your going to destroy a mith you should at least be familar with it.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

I think the correct term is BECAME.
Yeah I believe you're right.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude,Inlow must have realy wanted that wolf dead,and he must have been one hell of a man.Ive had a 30# raccoon by the back feet and no weapon,now i use a differant aproach.If i had to put a wolf down and didnt have a weapon,I think i would do my best to give him a pass till next time.

"Among the wild animals were red deer, which was a beautiful animal, and numerous in these parts up to 1825; the last one known in the township was a doe that remained on the north half of Section 16 during the summer of 1843, and was killed by Mr. Benjamin Allen in November of that year. Other animals were the gray fox, red fox (first seen here about 1844), raccoons, opossums, skunks, minks, muskrats, rabbits, gray and black squirrels, red squirrels (first seen here in 1850), blue- rats (the pioneer rat), the Norway rat (which immigrated here about 1838), brown bear (one found as late as 1825), the gray wolves. Elk horns were found, and yet are found in the lowlands, but the animal became extinct prior to settlements. The last gray wolf was killed about 1820, by Abraham Inlow, he being at quite a risk. Mr. Inlow was crossing the open prairie now owned by Charles Stewart; northeast quarter of Section 30; just as he entered the prairie, the wolf jumped from the grass and ran in the direction he was going. His horse started after and soon overtook the wolf, when it turned and started back. The horse stopped suddenly, turning also. Mr. Inlow, now excited, urged his horse and overtook the wolf before it reached the timber; when overtaken the second time, it turned short, turning again into the prairie; when overtaken the third time, its squatted in the long grass. Mr. Inlow now slipped quietly from his horse and grabbed the wolf by both hind legs. He soon saw he had his hands full, the wolf snapping furiously at his legs and arms; having no knife or other weapon, he started backward for the timber, twisting and kick

[hr]

[align=center]740 - HISTORY OF CLARK COUNTY.[/align]ing the wolf all the while. Upon reaching the timber, he dispatched the animal by throwing it against the standing trees."

Here's one. One of the reasons I read these books is for the great hunting stories.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: davidmil
I sat on this one ridge in Indiana this year bow hunting. Down in the valley a lady has 50 wolves in pens. What a sound they made a last light. You're sitting there and suddenly 50 wolves are serenading you. Wild.
davidmil,
I sat a stand about 1/2 mi. from a farm that had circus animals without knowing it. I got there real early the first morning and just before light, the lions and tigers started roaring! I found out later that it was feeding time! That made me almost have to double buck cut my shorts off.[:-]

Back to wolves...... I believe that the fear of wolves is an instinct in humans. This fear dates back a very long time. "the big, bad wolf!" Even if a person reads about them, without any experience with them, you'll get a 50/50 for and against them. This instinct is hard to change.

Quick Reply: WI hunters kill wolves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.