Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WI hunters kill wolves >

WI hunters kill wolves

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WI hunters kill wolves

Old 12-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WI hunters kill wolves

Dan i dont know where you hunt but it cant be in Zone 28. Our deer population has been shut down just about. It's terrible i'm sick to my stomach just thinking about the damn wolves. Everybody down south you should be glad that you dont have them! There terrible.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:47 PM

Unit 25. I saw tracks 2 days ago and my brother saw more yesterday.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets see, kevin Sanders is a tree huggerand every biologist that shares his view is wrong.So are you saying that the drought and hunting hasnt impacted the elk herd?How about the bears killing the calfs in the spring?Grizzlys have went from 150 bears in 1987 to over an estimated 600 in yellowstone alone.Suppose these biologists that study these kills cant tell a wolf track from a bear track?Why are you singling wolves out of all these contributing factors as the sole reason for the elks decline?Ill agree completely that theres a lotta self appointed "experts" that dont know **** but they cant all be making these things up.

No they don't make all these up, but they sure do bend the facts to fit their plans and opinions. I wish we could hunt grizzlys too, I see no needto protect themoutside the nation parks. I don't want towipe them out but starta controledhunting season. I don't fear wolves but I sure do fear grizzlys and what they can do. Anyway I find it funny when the issure of grizzly bears and bear protection comes up they come up with all the reasons why bears need to protected. And they point out thatthe fact that most of the other preditors (wolves, lions, and coyotesneed controled) but when defending the wolves they sure are quick to mention bears and how muchtheykill and eat too?Doesn't make much since does it. What angers me and most hunters here in the westwith this wolfissue is that ithas been shoved down our throats. Like it or not, we didn't get to vote or voice our opinion on the introduction of wolves and how to manage them. We try to speak up and make our voice known and are told to be quiet becasue we and uneducated about the subject. So what makes the people who did introduce the wolves so correct, and us so wrong? I wouldbet this issue would almost go away andhunters would even stand up for the wolves if we could have a sayin the matter and be able to hunt them.Take mountain lions for example, theydo kill a lot of deer each year, but yetsome sportsman want thepopulation of the cats to be high, just because we can hunt them too.I would bet the same could be said of wolves.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember when i was a little kid,I was trout fishing on a creek that went behind an old folks home.Right about the time i made my way through the woods to that spot they started hollering and moaning.The fog starting to lift right about then made for a spookey sight.
ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: davidmil
I sat on this one ridge in Indiana this year bow hunting. Down in the valley a lady has 50 wolves in pens. What a sound they made a last light. You're sitting there and suddenly 50 wolves are serenading you. Wild.
davidmil,
I sat a stand about 1/2 mi. from a farm that had circus animals without knowing it. I got there real early the first morning and just before light, the lions and tigers started roaring! I found out later that it was feeding time! That made me almost have to double buck cut my shorts off.[:-]

Back to wolves...... I believe that the fear of wolves is an instinct in humans. This fear dates back a very long time. "the big, bad wolf!" Even if a person reads about them, without any experience with them, you'll get a 50/50 for and against them. This instinct is hard to change.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want towipe them out but starta controledhunting season.
Sounds like pretty much the same thing Ive been saying.And I do hope you guys get one soon.

What angers me and most hunters here in the westwith this wolfissue is that ithas been shoved down our throats. Like it or not, we didn't get to vote or voice our opinion on the introduction of wolves and how to manage them. We try to speak up and make our voice known and are told to be quiet becasue we and uneducated about the subject.
Thats a crock but it happens with DNR policies in every state.Believe it or not one of our biggest issues is with the DNR cutting down trees.Bowhunters make up probably 60% of the deer hunting around here but every piece of land the state gets ahold of they immediately go in and clear cut, sometimes they take entire groves and treelines out that are over 100 yrs old.Weve signed petitions, emailed the DNr headquarters and have given the guys doing the cutting so much **** about it its funny they can sleep at night.We get the same response, theyve been to college, Iowa was once entirley grassland etc...One day one of the new DNr guys and a hunter that I was helping track a deer almost came to blows when the subject came up, mostly because the DNR was fresh out of college and not afraid to tell us how smart he was and how uninformed we were.

No they don't make all these up, but they sure do bend the facts to fit their plans and opinions
Again, sadly thats pretty common.The insurance industry pushed our legislatures into going on a massive deer killing campaign here a few years ago.Were on the other side of the state fro the main DNR headquarters, somehow the info they were putting out from 3 hours away wasnt even close to matching the reality of what I was seeing for deer numbers, I spend most of 6 months out of the year in the field in this area where they were relying on mail insurveys that were worded so even repeat sightings of deer were counted as part of the population.

An example, I use the same stand every night for a week, the same doe and two fawns comes by my stand during the morning, then again at night, after 7 days Ive only seen three deer right?On the survey they sent I would have marked down 42 deer sighted from that stand for the week.It doesnt take much to manipulate numbers.

Anyway, I do hope they figure something out for you guys, after doing some more reading last night it appears that whatever the reason for your elks decline hunters are taking the shaft for it.The area I in Yellowstone I referenced even counting in bear, coyote, and wolf kills apparently dropped the number of hunting permits as a solution instead of dealing with the predators taking the majority of the elk.Thats not right IMO.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Nodog likes to talk in jeberish, what he is saying is "No big deer in Ohio", you just have to read between the lines.[8D]

Saw some of your big Mitch I gan deer yesterday. Everyone of them pushed 200#. It was between Motown and Port Huron. Went up there to pick up a bow for my daughter. Real nice guy who shot the biggest deer of his 20 years this season. I could see why after seeing those monsters. Hebrought up something aboutthe big deer in Ohio. Imentioned that yes we have some big ones, but our herd is only 600,000 with talk of reducing it to 250,000. I could see the wheels turning. He was alittle confused, mentioned something about having no desire to stare out into space all day. Your own has about a million and a half.

This whole issue is about having to be forced to live with a cold blooded killer let loose in your area. It’s only supposed benefit is that it will attack coyotes, it may, but I doubt it will have any measurable effect on them and people will have 2 cold blooded killers to deal with, this one being much more of what is undesirable with the promise that they will not attack you or yours. A wolf is a large dog. The domestic dog attacks are numerous and often attributed to the failure of the owner to train or restrain the dog. Now there are those who want to let loose untrained, non secure, cold blooded killers and you to be happy with it. Not me.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nodog,Id like to see the wolves and coyotes managed alot differantly too,and speaking from my own personal experiance,when the wolves move in,the coyotes move out.For some reasion the red fox dont have a problem with the wolves,and the coyotes do.Not to say one is better to have arround than the other.Both worthless in my opinion,I hate coyotes,but they made it here on there own.they werent re-introduced to the best of my knowlage.And even though people trap,and hunt them,they are in so deep,its going to take some real conserted efforts to make an impact.Wolves will be the same way someday.
ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: Germ

Nodog likes to talk in jeberish, what he is saying is "No big deer in Ohio", you just have to read between the lines.[8D]

Saw some of your big Mitch I gan deer yesterday. Everyone of them pushed 200#. It was between Motown and Port Huron. Went up there to pick up a bow for my daughter. Real nice guy who shot the biggest deer of his 20 years this season. I could see why after seeing those monsters. Hebrought up something aboutthe big deer in Ohio. Imentioned that yes we have some big ones, but our herd is only 600,000 with talk of reducing it to 250,000. I could see the wheels turning. He was alittle confused, mentioned something about having no desire to stare out into space all day. Your own has about a million and a half.

This whole issue is about having to be forced to live with a cold blooded killer let loose in your area. It’s only supposed benefit is that it will attack coyotes, it may, but I doubt it will have any measurable effect on them and people will have 2 cold blooded killers to deal with, this one being much more of what is undesirable with the promise that they will not attack you or yours. A wolf is a large dog. The domestic dog attacks are numerous and often attributed to the failure of the owner to train or restrain the dog. Now there are those who want to let loose untrained, non secure, cold blooded killers and you to be happy with it. Not me.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:49 PM

THey should kill all of the wolves, they are good for nothing, all they do is kill every animal, if i ever see one im gonna kill it(Wisconsinite)