Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WI hunters kill wolves >

WI hunters kill wolves

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WI hunters kill wolves

Old 12-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WI hunters kill wolves

ORIGINAL: kinny

I hunt in wisconsin & michigan, every landowner I've ever talked to wants wolves shot on sight. Some of these people have to make their living off that land. This may come as a big surprise to a lot of you but the DNR doesn't always know, or do, whats best.

To you riteous guys out there that don't want them shot because they're not hurting anyone and they're just doing what wolves do please keep in mind that we have crow hunting seasons (I'm quite sure no one has ever died as a result of a crow attack), a lot of people shoot prairie dogs for recreation even though many people find them cute and cuddly.
Why is it ok for the DNR and other government agencies to "declare war" on the Emerald Ash Borer beatle when these beatles are just doing what they know to do? There's still going to be lots of other trees even if all the ash trees are killed off.

Ifthe DNRwants to keep wolves protected, then the wolves are going to have to start bringing some benefits to the table, otherwise they're going to continue to be percieved as having no economic or environmental benefit (which will never happen because wolves have about as much usefullness asa wood tick).
I don't think there are any "wolf huggers" here that don't think wolves should be managed, but what I, and some others are saying, is that the ridiculous and sad ideals of wiping them out is outrageous and outdated.[:'(]
Old 12-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

To you riteous guys out there that don't want them shot because they're not hurting anyone and they're just doing what wolves do please keep in mind that we have crow hunting seasons (I'm quite sure no one has ever died as a result of a crow attack), a lot of people shoot prairie dogs for recreation even though many people find them cute and cuddly.
First off read your own post on the subject, we have a season on crows, theres rules to prarie dog hunting as well Im sure.The original post on this subject wasnt about 9 legaly shot wolves, it was about 9 illegal ones, see the difference?Nobody to my knowledge said anything remotely close to "they dont want them shot".

Most of the states in question in this post to my knowledge have reached the population goals that would result in the wolf being delisted as a endangered species and put the management of them into the states hands where they could be killed legally.The only reason they havent been is the stateswont come up with a game management plan to give the feds.Why would I view poaching a wolf as being somehow better then someone poaching a deer?You want wolves killed, take it up with the state, get it legalized, and have at em.Theyre whats holding you back.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:35 PM

I don't think there are any "wolf huggers" here that don't think wolves should be managed, but what I, and some others are saying, is that the ridiculous and sad ideals of wiping them out is outrageous and outdated.[:'(]
Exactly!
what kills me iswhen a some of these guys go out and kill deer, then get all bent out of shape when a wolf or coyote kills one. Human nature.. mine mine mine all mine.. greed greed greed kill kill pull the trigger. Let the wolf eatthe deeras long as I get to kill it. This is what I am hearing.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

petasux,

Dude hate to break this to you butKEVINSANDERS akabear man is a big time tree hugger, yellowstone is loaded with people like him! They state a lot of facts that are not true but because they are experts then they can't be wrong. One example is wolves only kill the old and the young, boy oh boy, thenmany of hunters and outfittersmust need theirvision checked becaue we have seen wolveskilling very healthyelk, inculding big bulls.Just becasue he has adegree in biology and he teachesat a few universitysdoesn't make him a wolf expert. Suresomebilogist agree with him, but many other don't. Even our local state biologist are split aboutright down the middle over the issure and management of wolves.In my opinion Kevinis the type that would be happy tosee the end of hunting. And animals like wolves and bears would keep thegame animals in check, so there is no need for us hunters,and yes I do have a problem with that. One last thing if you want to see some people mad as hell with fire in their eyesready to kill someone, then come to Idaho at a wolf meeting. When you have a group of hunters and ranchers who have spent most of their life in the mountains and know whats real and what isn'tn, sitting there saying one thing and a expert biologistsaying thier wrong becuase they have done the studys andthey have such and such college degree and knowledge. Well itmakes one want totake the law into our own hands take care of the proplem ourselfs in other words SSS.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then you got states like Idaho who instead of coming up with a game management plan where wolves could be delisted and managed by the state instead come out with a wolf eradication plan designed to wipe out the wolf from the state.With brainstorms like this its no wonder you cant get a chance to control the population.
You got this wrong, Idaho and Montana do infact have awolf management plan in place, Wyoming on the other hand wants to wipe them out, (personaly i think its not a bad idea) but it will never happen. The feds tell us that as soon as Wyoming joins with us they will delist them and we can even have a hunting season. I will believe that when I see it.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly!
what kills me iswhen a some of these guys go out and kill deer, then get all bent out of shape when a wolf or coyote kills one. Human nature.. mine mine mine all mine.. greed greed greed kill kill pull the trigger. Let the wolf eatthe deeras long as I get to kill it. This is what I am hearing.
One question, ifyour favorite hunting area got shut down to no hunting because the wolves were killing to many animals how would you feel then?
I bet you would be singing a different tune. We need to be able to control them, and right now they are pure hell on our elk herds in the west. I do wish we could get rid of them in west period, but that will never happen. So I and many othersonly hope to be able to control/hunt shoot them.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:10 PM

I agree, controll them.

One question, ifyour favorite hunting area got shut down to no hunting because the wolves were killing to many animals how would you feel then?
I didn't read all of your posts. Did this happen to you?

Old 12-17-2006, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

One example is wolves only kill the old and the young, boy oh boy, thenmany of hunters and outfittersmust need theirvision checked becaue we have seen wolveskilling very healthyelk, inculding big bulls.
IEI,
I have to agree with you 100% on this statement. This is a huge misunderstanding that people have. Wolves are opportunistic hunters in that that do kill the weak and such, but they are not selective. Meaning that they will kill any animal, even the healthiest and strongest.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read all of your posts. Did this happen to you?
yes, its in the process, it went from general huntingto controled tags, and each year its getting worse. Several units have had hunts done away with altogher. Kind of sad if thats your favorite area.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:05 PM

"Why would I view poaching a wolf as being somehow better then someone poaching a deer?You want wolves killed, take it up with the state, get it legalized, and have at em.Theyre whats holding you back. "

Maybe you need to re-read my post. I have stated that wolves have NO benefit to anyone. Not to the tourism market, not to retail outlets, not to the habitat/environment... Deer DO have benefit. Poaching a wolf is a lot better than poaching a deer.

And stopusing the arguementabout legal/illegal unless you never drive over 65 mph on the interstate, come to a complete stop at all stop signs, and report all of your out of stateinternet purchases on your state income taxes. We've all knowingly broken the law.

Mother Nature may have populated Wisconsin with wolves long before we got here, but she also gave us with smallpox, polio, and arsenic. Not all things she does are good.

Quick Reply: WI hunters kill wolves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.