Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Friends
34.44%
Family
32.45%
TV Shows
7.28%
Huntingnet
3.97%
Magazine
5.96%
Book(s)
1.99%
Movie
0%
Other
13.91%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

How did you....

Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How did you....

How did you learn about bowhunting? What/Who got you into it?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:38 AM

Default RE: How did you....

Honestly, I cant really remember, I just know it had something to do with my neighbors and a hunting show that I saw, get this, on PBS.

Once I shot a bow one time, I was hooked...
Old 12-14-2006, 04:48 AM

My Dad was a game warden in Preble County Ohio. He, my uncle, and Grandpa were avid bird hunters. I was born on a State owned hunting preserve ('Rush Run' is the name of the preserve. It's still there.) We raised pheasants and deer for release in Ohio. Oh....and we fished a lot too I got into bow hunting and turkey hunting after meeting up with the likes of Pat Ely, CougMag, Ed Owens, and a few other knuckleheads from here.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I struck out on my own. That was a great failure and I gave it up.
About 4 years ago my father-in-law got me shooting my bow again and I actually got good with it (on targets).
Then I got my first deer with a bow. Been hooked ever since.
I still enjoy black powder hunting, but the rifles/shotguns have been given a great rest.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

A couple of good friends sparked my intrest and when I got my first bow they taught me everything.
One taught me everything thing about my bow and the other taught me everything about hunting whitetails.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wanted more of a challenge, along with more time in the bush. So I started out onmy own, with no real "Bow" knowledge but plenty of hunting knowledge. The transition was pretty easy.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Google search.

Actually bought myself a bear fiberglass bow in the late 70s and started shooting. Taught myself, and moved on from their.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had an old bow for many years and decided I should start shooting it.
I got it set up and plinked around in the backyard to find that I was a pretty good shot.

My best friend had recently gotten a used bow so we headed out together to learn.

He had prior shotgun hunting experience from his family and I had navigation/map reading experience from the Army so it was a great matchup. We taught each other a lot in a short amount of time and have been going strong ever since!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad was an avid bowhunter before I was born. I was in the stand with him long before I could hunt. He had a climbing stand and he would tie a rope around my waist, climb up, and then pull me up after him. We never saw much back then as the deer population wasn't near what it is now, but it was one of the best parts of my life. Been hunting with him ever since. My son is 11 months now, but I can't wait to get him in the stand with me in the early season.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Spike

My grandpa started bowhunting in the 60's. Then my dad and my uncles started hunting as soon as they could. So it has just been passed on I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.