Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The secret to gaining permission >

The secret to gaining permission

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The secret to gaining permission

Old 12-14-2006, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The secret to gaining permission

I don't do any of that business. I'm a neighbor whom the women feel safe to be alone with and they have no fears having their children around me. The husbands trust me to be around what's theirs. It is how I live and do business and has paid off many times over. I've worked for many of the people who allow me to hunt on their land. Keep your eyes and conversations clean and you'll have no problems.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

what would you guys reccomend for a younger kid like me(16) to do in asking for permission. I would find it hard going up to a strangers door and giving them gifts to ask for permission to hunt. Earlier this year i tried sending people letters telling them about who i am and that i would give them a call to ask if i could hunt. Well i struck out. So how would you go about asking if you were my age?
Thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 06:21 AM

Good advice GregH. I know alot of farmers, I worked on a farm for 18 years. I was there many times when hunters came to ask for permission to hunt. Most of the time the answer was no. I will tell you why. Most guys would come and ask for permission just before or during hunting season, after they would leave the farmer would say " you don't see these guys all summer when we have all this work, they only show up when they want something". I heard him say this many times. Do not show up just before hunting season. Go early in the year and offer to help them put in hay, pick stones, fix fence etc... GregH gave some great useful gift ideas to show your appreciation. Somemay notlike deer meat so give them this along with something else. The main idea is to show you are thinking about their land throughout the year not just when you want to use it for hunting.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I consider this a form of hunting. Land hunting. Why are you guys baiting? Is baiting legal in your states? If it is, should you limit the bait to a one gallon bucket?

You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

Tom
Old 12-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Illinoisbow

what would you guys reccomend for a younger kid like me(16) to do in asking for permission. I would find it hard going up to a strangers door and giving them gifts to ask for permission to hunt. Earlier this year i tried sending people letters telling them about who i am and that i would give them a call to ask if i could hunt. Well i struck out. So how would you go about asking if you were my age?
Thanks
Best thing is to get someone who knows others to broach the subject with them and vouch for your character. It's hard work getting started, things take time.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe it varies with different sections of the country but, and I am being totally honest.................almost every time I have visited a farmer about seeking permission in most cases the woman of the house was more receptive to hunting deer than some of their husbands!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually mention the fact I have doe tags to fill.A lot of farmers are catching on to the fact that most hunters are after a buck and are letting countless crop eating does pass by thier stands without actually trying to thin any of them out.Ive gained permission to hunt deer simply by offering to shoot does where other guys wont.They also get sick of the trophy hunting mentality that goes along with som much of the deer hunting today.

One farm the guy was notorious for not letting anyone hunt his property.The first year I asked I simply told him I was looking to shoot a doe for the freezer and wouldnt bother the bucks, he shotgun hunted himself and told me that would be ok as long as I left the bucks alone.The following year I again approached him and he started telling me about a big 8 pointer he had been watching.By the end of the conversation he had not only told me where the buck was running the property but wished me luck in killing him, This year he just told me to quit asking him every year and hunt whatever I wanted.

Another guys first request was that I please kill some does.I went out and bought 3 doe tags which I filled exclusively on his place throughout the year.The following year he told me I could hunt all his ground.47$ worth of doe tags was a pretty cheap lease to get access to a couple thousand acres of good hunting ground.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest problem with finding land to hunt around here is that someone is usually already hunting it. I've lived here all my life and know everyone, but it would take some time to find and landthat isn't already hunted.

Some people don't allow hunting because they have had bad experiences with gun hunters or are afraid of livestock being shot. Telling them you want to bowhunt and not gun hunt could give you and advantage.

If you are a young guy, the best advice I could give you is look your best and be very polite. Most people like young people and want to help them. In todays times an young, nice-looking, polite person might be somewhat of a novelty.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I usually go over when the man is not at home and Welllllllll,,,,,,,,, There are other ways to get permission.

Not really, I actually go over when the man is gone and slap her around a little and say, "let me hunt your deer, , women,,, and go into the kitchen and make me some Pie.".
Old 12-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

If I see the farmer working on something or even not, I always first offer up to give them a hand
I always try to put myself in the landowners shoes and ask myself, if this were my place how would I feel and what would I expect.
I was going to a lease on year and came across a older man and his wife. They had a blow out and were having a heck of a time with the jack. I stopped and got out my hydraulic jack and put their spair on. His wife wanted some pecons so they had started to the store to get some.
After finishing I walked back to the jeep and took out my big bag of pecons, (great snack and I have a very big nice tree walked back and gave them to her. We talked some more and they ask what I was doing out there. I told them that I was going to do a little hunting. He looked at his wife and said, We have a small place and it has a few deer on it. They use to hunt but due to their age they didn't hunt any more. They invited me to come back and hunt. Little place turned out to be 1700 acers.
I took a doe the first time out and after having it processed I gave them half. I was able to hunt there for 6 years untill they were killed in a one car roll over.[&o]

Quick Reply: The secret to gaining permission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.