Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2nd Rut?

Old 12-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2nd Rut?

Hey Guys,

I have never seen much of a 2nd rut here in VA. Yesterday evening I climbed into one of my stands and was hoping to take a nice doe to help fill up the freezer. Just before dark a group of does came in just as I thought they would. As they got closer I picked out the largest one and waited for her to get into a good position for a shot. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, comes this 9pt buck and chases the doe around for 25 minutes right under me. I tried everything to stop this buck. What a show it was. I am getting back out to that stand tomorrow morning and hope to see him or her again. Is anyone else seeing a 2nd rut or do you think this was just an isolated situation?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:26 PM

Default RE: 2nd Rut?

good topic,,we got it in CT also,I just have'nt had time to git out
Old 12-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2nd Rut?

Mike, Nothing is set in stone, It may be an isolated incident, maybe a young doe comming into her first heat late. Here in northern Mich it is not uncommon to see unbred Doe's cycle 3 times in areas were the Doe to Buck ratio is high (just not enough Bucks to go around) each cycle is just shy of a month(28 days) apart, some say 21 days. The farther south you go seems like the later these cycles occur. I heve taken several nice bucks in Kentucky with doe's during Christmas week. Good luck on the Buck.