Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What was your worst hunt? >

What was your worst hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What was your worst hunt?

Old 12-22-2006, 07:05 PM

Default RE: What was your worst hunt?

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: _Dan

November 4, 2000. I was dragging a deer out through a red pine plantation when a 14 yr old Native American decided to take a sound shot at me from 20 yrds with a 30-06. The bullet hit a branch then passed through my right bicep, missing the artery by 2mm. I had shrappnel (sp?) in my stomach and my groin. 2.5 hours of surgery later I had a new artery in my arm.

At least I got a helicopter ride out of it!
OUCH!!!!
Tell me about it! Though I don't remember much pain. The worst part was the feeling that my life was over and I was going to die. ButI didn't and life seems a whole lot sweeter now than it has ever been.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:07 PM

That sucks Dan, atleast you are living
Old 12-22-2006, 07:50 PM

I myself have had a few, but one of the worst, if not the worst was my birthday two years ago. we got out of school early, so i got home showered and everything and headed out. got to my stand at 1 o clock, really early but i like to get in early. Frickin deer out on the field scared off. then i had deer bedded right by my stand (on the edge of a field) scare off. started climbing my stand and my foot slipped off the peg and i darn near fell, got up in my stand and look at my rubber boot... Slit right in half. so im sitting there just caus it was my birthday but i was ticked off. a lil 8 point came out and snorted at me, caught my wind. By now i was about madder than a skinhead watchin the jeffersons, and a storm was coming in so i figgered with the luck i had been having i might as well head in. luckily i made it home, but i make it a point NOT to hunt my birthday anymore
Old 12-22-2006, 09:40 PM

This year was my first bow hunt, I made up a bunch of gravity feeders out of pvc pipe, about 6 inch diameter, and about 4 feet long and hung them from trees, i took the girlfriend with me hunting, there came a nice great big doe in that I was going to attempt to take, it was real low light, almost too dark to shoot, but you could still make out the deer decently, and I had a sight light in the blind, i drew back, onlya 12 yard shot mind you, and shot, we heard a loud crack that didn't sound like the thump you get when you hit the deer, i look around to see what happened, as did the doe, and the feeder was dead center between me and the deer hanging from the tree, and I just got too antsy, the arrow went all the way through and stopped at the fletchings.....ruining the feeder, the muzzy 4 blades held up perfectly though, it was a good chuckle afterwards but very embarresing!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

Beagle001........Madder than a skinhead watchin the jeffersons!!!! now thats funny LMAO!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hatchetjack wins for the best story about bad hunts.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why thank you vc1111!

Hatchet Jack
Old 12-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most disgusted I have been on a hunt was about 3 years ago. I was in one of my favorite tree stands on a beautiful fall evening. I didn't know it, but some local coyote hunters had been out the night before and hadn't found all of their trail hounds. One of them struck on a deer on the property south of me and trailed it onto my property, you can imagine the sound a trail hound running a deer would make. They started circling and the dog ran the deer in about a half-mile circle about 4 times around the property, each time coming within about 100 yards from my stand. The hunting wasn't worth a dam for about 2 weeks after that.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I actually have two (two different types of hunting also)

(1) Goose hunting a few seasons ago in a farmers field in January, 18* outside, 6" of snow on the ground. I was new to waterfowl hunting,and I knew some guys who knew a guy who let us hunt geese on one of the pastures. I drove 2 hours on slippery icy roads at 3:30am to meet up with these guys at 5:30am. Then quickly get the field setup with goose decoys and discuss shot placement zones and arrangements. I learned very quickly that waterfowling is not for the meek or timid. You have to be a few sandwiches shy of a picnic to be a true waterfowler. I wore thermal long johns, sweat pants, sweat shirt, and my big heavy insulated camo coveralls. Put it mildy.... I FROZE MY $*@&# A$$ OUT THERE!!!!!! I mean, not just being chilly or cold. I'm talking like medical conditions here. I mean I'm talking borderline hypothermia! We never saw one single goose the whole morning either. I was so cold, I couldn't even think. My feet were like two lead weights. (Basically, we all laid down in the snow, and covered ourselves with a white painters tarp or a white bedsheet that one of the guys brought for each of us). It absolutely sucked. A 2 hour drive at "0 dark thirty" only tonot see a single thing and darn near come down with hypothermia. I mean, say what you want... I've been chilly before. I've been really cold before. But I have NEVER been as cold as I was that morning! [:'(]

(2) Bowhunting on a public land WMA. I took a day off from work to better my chances at a, uh, very popular WMA (you know the ones I am talking about...) Well, this particular day, I was near one of the main trails, and heard loud footsteps approaching. I couldn't believe it... Two old ladies were walking their poodles. I stayed totally still and didn't do anything or say anything. The poodles caught me moving or spotted me or something and started barking. The old ladies stopped and looked into the woods where the poodles were looking, and I believe they too spotted me. They got very upset and decided to ruin my entire hunt for the rest of the day. They started talking REAL LOUD to each other, and clapping their hands, and creating such a rucus, I just said, "the heck with it" and packed up and went home. I got so horribly annoyed over it all, I considered quitting. I mean, my hunting license fees go to help pay for the WMA, while the two old ladies can freely use the WMA and don't pay a dime. But yet, they have the audacity to spook any deer away from me and ruin my hunt?!? [:@] Whoa, man, let me tell you... I sent in a scathing letter to the Game and Fisheries to see if I could file a formal complaint. Here it is a couple of years later, and I still haven't been back to that WMA to go hunting at it. It is a waste of time in my book. [:'(]

Butch A.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:35 PM

I was setting on a oil tank because my friends stand got stolen earlier that month. Well I had a doe a spike and a small buck circle in behind me and I managed to draw back. I took aim and released... low. the arrow went right below the stomach. So a few "dang its" later a group of hens walked out. I stood up drew back took aim and released... low. The arrow knicked its leg and hopped off. About 10 minuted after that a coyote came trotting out, drew back took aim and released.. LOW!!! lol at this point I had temporarily convinced myself that I quit bowhunting FOREVER. Anywho.. I got on the radio and had my buddy come pick me up on the golf cart. He has a bench on the back where I was setting with al of the gear. Well on a trail back to camp I see a mature doe standing 20 yard in the woods. I get off without sppoking it and draw back, I am about half way up its back and release. PERFECT! double lung shot. Well we drag her out dress her and quarter her and I get my bow out. Some how my sights got knocked off. Well I guess the doe redeemed my self and filled the freezer.Bad hunt with a good ending..

Quick Reply: What was your worst hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.