Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Winter Bowhunting >

Winter Bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Winter Bowhunting

Old 12-11-2006, 08:25 AM

Default Winter Bowhunting

Hi all,during the first week of archery season here inPA, I got a nice mature doe with my bow. Then two weeks ago during rifle season I shot another doe. So now I'm out of doe tags. I still have my buck tag to fill, and rifle season is over. So now I'm up for the challenge of getting a buck with my bow when bow season opens up again this month. It's my last chance to fill that tag, and I'd like to try it since I've never bowhunted this late before. Does anyone have any reccommendations, tips, anything that would help?

Thanks in advance,
Nina
Old 12-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Winter Bowhunting

What I'd be thinking about.....is how well you can DRAW your bow in colder temps. It's just something to think about. When you've been on stand for a few cold hours.....drawing that bow can be a challenge.

Other than that....just hunt the food!

Good luck....I hunt with the bow all season long (14 degrees when I got on stand, Saturday!).

Jeff
Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Figure out where they bed and where the food is. Sit in between those 2 areas.

One tip on being able to pull the bow back in the cold is to make sure that your clothes are loose on your drawing arm. With so many layers on, if they are tight you are fighting your clothes more than the bow.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I use my bow through all seasons. Like others had said, shot your bow with all the winter gear on to insure you do not have any problems before hand.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Nothing different than early early season.
Make sure your warm enough. Hard to stay alert when to cold>>
Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt the major food sources. Pattern the deer and find major crossing of bottlenecks. Deer group up alot during the winter and it makes them more vulnerable.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

First of all where in Western PA do you live? Second - Hunting the late season is tuff but can be very productive on good buck. I literally set up in the bed room edges for the late season and on the food source side. I've had years when hunting picked corn fields that I had better hunting than in the early season. Most of my hunting late is in the bedding areas over browse like flora-rose and raspberry bushes. It's a real hoot to have a big buck come in when nobody else is even out there!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 PM

I live 45 minutes away from Pittsburgh.....in Hookstown. Thanks everyone for the replies
Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Nina, We only have room for one more deer in the freezer and since I am the one paying the electric bill why dont you just hang it up for the season and let your dad try to fill his buck tag..............Besides you already taught those deer a good lesson across the street let that little 4point and 8 point grow bigger and they will be waiting for you next bow season. YOU HAVE TOO MANY DEERHEADS TO MOUNT WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO FIND THE TIME.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Site Buck Guru

Just one more, man!

Quick Reply: Winter Bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.