Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gardening practices?? >

Gardening practices??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gardening practices??

Old 12-11-2006, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Gardening practices??

I live in Mchenry Il. On the property I hunt on there are florecent green fruit balls. They're the size of soft balls. I belive they are called Osage_Orange fruits. The deer are eating these Hardcore. My question is would it be considered baiting if i kick them into a pile?? I'm not bringing them out there they're already on the ground.
or canI unburry them from the snow??
Don't want to bait them just utalize the natural fruit??

Any one else see these things??

whitetailsoldier

titleAndStar(111,0,false,false,"","")
Rack Buck

[align=center][/align]
This is verbatum from Illinois 2005-2006 DNR Information
It is unlawful to make available food,salt,mineral blocks or other products for ingestion by wild deer or other wildlife in areas where wild deer are present.EXEPT,

Grain or other feed distributed or scattered solely as a result of normal agriculture, Gardening, or soil stabalization practices.

[hr]

HOW DO YOU INTERPRET THAT?????

Mathews z-max
beman 350 arrows
muzzy g5
season06'-07'B.B.D
Seasoned Soldier of the war on CWD
Old 12-11-2006, 05:59 AM
New Sheriff

Default RE: What are those Big green Balls??

Looks like a horse apple to me. They grow on Bois De Arc trees. The deer will eat them but not their favorite.

Hell, if they are already there I'd say kick em all out of the snow and enjoy hunting them.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Yep, Osage Orange, but we used to call the hedge apples when I was a kid.
I think your question is sort of tricky. If I were you, i'd call the local DNR office and ask them. To me baiting would mean you brought something in with you and put it in a specific pile. I would think that you can surely unburry them from the snow with no problem, but it's the putting them in a pile that may seem like baiting. Tricky.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it is not baiting if it is already naturally there . You can cut down branches and other stuff in a pile in my area
Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Any conservationists in the house??
Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Banned

They are called hedgeapples, people put them around the inside of their houses and believe that they will keep out bugs and mice. Old wives's tale but grocery stores around here sell them for 50 cents apiece.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

the wood also makes excellant bows
Old 12-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually even if you dont place the food there purposley, and are caught hunting over it, you can be fined. A local Wisconsin farmer was harvesting corn and lost a substantial amount of shelledcorn out of the gravity box and wasfined for baiting over the legal limit. He tried to fight this fine andlost. And the corn was still in his field and he was not hunting at the time.

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Yep, Osage Orange, but we used to call the hedge apples when I was a kid.
I think your question is sort of tricky. If I were you, i'd call the local DNR office and ask them. To me baiting would mean you brought something in with you and put it in a specific pile. I would think that you can surely unburry them from the snow with no problem, but it's the putting them in a pile that may seem like baiting. Tricky.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have a lot of them here. We call them hedgeapples, too. The only thing I've seen that likes to eat them are squirrels.I've never seen deer eat them. If deer are eating them, I would say the deer are having a hard time finding anything to eat.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Round here people call em monkey balls, and stick em in thier house to keep spiders away. Yea and you thought PApeople were only goofy when it came to hunting laws/traditions[8D]

Quick Reply: Gardening practices??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.