Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The late season thread........ >

The late season thread........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The late season thread........

Old 12-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The late season thread........

So who is hunting a second primitive weapons season this year? What state, and what is your plan? Do you change your equipment at all or go to a lower weight/shorter DL bow?

I am determined to fill a doe tag at least with a bow this year during late season, I have next weekend and then 11/26 to 1/1 in PA.

I just got done throwing together a Bengal from the shop and tomorrow night I will get it sighted in and tuned up. Hopefully I can let it sing, I have a doe tag in both NY and PA, as well as a ML/Archery either sex tag in NY. There are more big ones left out there at both of my main patches.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:21 PM

Default RE: The late season thread........

We have till Jan 15 here in MO...hunting is quite a bit tougher now that firearm season is over. I could have filled a couple more doe tags, but in my old age I must be getting soft and have let them all walk. I'm still in search of that first archery buck!

I shoot my same set up but I focus more on food sources and bedding areas...At least, that's the plan. [&:]
Old 12-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone notice that they bed sooooooo much closer to food sources now?

They are still hitting the turnips hard now and even during daylight. Problem is they are bedding 40-50 yards downwind of the plot. You can get into a blind within about 100 yards of them cross wind, but thats about it. Man they are sneaky this time of year..............
Old 12-10-2006, 08:26 PM

This is my second year bow hunting and I have yet to fill my archery tag thus far. My fall semester in college ends this week and since im layed off I plan to hunt almost every day that I am free in order to bag one, buck or doe, doesnt matter to me. Ive go a nice spot on some public land where there isnt TOO much pressure espcially during late season bow. So I hope to pull one out, good luck to yall!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be back out most likely. As others have said I'll be in the thick stuff along travel routes to the recently picked corn. Trick is getting in and out without jumping them.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Does anyone notice that they bed sooooooo much closer to food sources now?

They are still hitting the turnips hard now and even during daylight. Problem is they are bedding 40-50 yards downwind of the plot. You can get into a blind within about 100 yards of them cross wind, but thats about it. Man they are sneaky this time of year..............
Oh yes they are bedding within 20-25 yards of a corn field by me, I set up in between and hope to catch them coming for food or going to bed down. down!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out tonight and plan on going out 1-2 times a week, weather permitting, through the end of bow season here in IL. I didn't see any deer from stand, but my dadhada group of does come into ourBiologic Green Patch Plus plot and start digging for greenfoliage. They really seem to be hittingour plots hard since it snowed.

And you're right, all the deer are bedding much closer to food now. If you have a good plot or secluded field you can pattern them fairly easily. I'm on doe patrol as I'm out of buck tags, but I won't personally shoot one unless I can get it on film. I also have two friends, one a rookie hunter and the other with a lot of bad luck, who I'm gonna help try to get a deer as well.

As for my equipment, I dont' change a thing. Wear some additional clothing and stock up on hardwarmers and that's about it.

Oh yeah - broke two of the fibers on my Copper John Dead Nuts sight tonight. Not a huge deal as I can replace them easily enough during the off season. Also not as big of a deal as I'll be in the market for a whole new setup come Feb/March.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Icedragon

This is my second year bow hunting and I have yet to fill my archery tag thus far. My fall semester in college ends this week and since im layed off I plan to hunt almost every day that I am free in order to bag one, buck or doe, doesnt matter to me. Ive go a nice spot on some public land where there isnt TOO much pressure espcially during late season bow. So I hope to pull one out, good luck to yall!
Good hunting! Hope you get a shot at and hit what your aiming at first.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:28 AM

I'll be back out the day before Christmas. Shotgun season runs thru next weekend.
I think I'm going to use my last day of vacation on the 27th.
I have until Jan 10th to fill 2 tags.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm giving it a go for this last week of late archery. I think I have a pretty good game plan of what I want to do anyway. I've been scouting a little area of my landfrom afar during the last week of gun season and have seen several deer hanging in an alfalfa field the last 10 minutes of light almost every night. Problem is they're not bedding too far away from there. I'm going to take my climber and try to sneak up a tree between the field and where they are bedding without jumping them [:-](i hope).
Plan B is to hunt a big patch of thick bedding area where i have a couple tripod stands set up. This place holds big bucks. It's only 30 acres, but it hasn't had a single human in it since September when I trimmed around the pods and cut some trails so I can get there nice and quiet. I leave it alone purely for late season archery. The way the neighboring hunters lands work out, they all get pushed over to my little sanctuary.[8D]

Besides that there's always praying I see a buck at this stage of the game.

Quick Reply: The late season thread........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.